Pro Cycling Thread 2024

2 Likes

Perfect thanks!

Gah, stupid geo blocking!

1 Like

No it doesn’t……even just a few hundred meters later the issue was resolved with a simple piece of string.

1 Like

Is everyone watching Phil’s stage recaps?

6 Likes

Thanks! I didn’t know he was doing these. Short, concise, entertaining

1 Like

Another Saturday watching on replay due to racing bikes myself. :grinning:

WHAT A STAGE! I have to think Jumbo would have wanted more from their effort today. Gaining a second is better than losing some, but still…

As if we didn’t already know, Wout is a freak of nature. Also, the most exciting part of any mountain stage is when when Sepp takes the front. Riders just start blowing out the back.

Bummer to lose so many riders to crashes today. Thought Pidcock was looking good before today. Battle for third is fully on now.

Another tough day tomorrow. I wonder if UAE will try to light it up after Jumbo burned so many matches today.

3 Likes

The last thing I saw on live TV before leaving for a group ride this morning :man_facepalming:t2:

It was entertaining racing for sure. But when I looked at the stage, I didn’t think anything major was gonna happen. JV did a lot of work for absolutely nothing. Having huge climbs with technical downhills to the finish line just negates any advantage you can gain on the climb. Pog wants those bonus seconds. JV should let the break go and force UAE to pull them back if they want the seconds. Vinny could even counterattack with fresher legs to get the bonus seconds. The fact that JV was so determined to pull all day smells of desperation. JV should’ve lost 5s today instead of gaining 1. Whatever they thought they were doing, almost backfired.

If the ITT doesn’t decide the race, stage 17&20 look like the real battle ground for the yellow.

Except if JV think the trick to cracking Pog is multiple hard mountain days in a row, then today was part one of a multi-stage plan which we won’t know if it works or not till after stage 20

2 Likes

Personally I love it. Push the pace the whole way and see who cracks first. If your opponent is explosive wearing them down and trying to take the “kick” out of the legs isn’t a bad strategy, especially on a course like this. This kind of racing is good for the tour and their team sponsors.

2 Likes

There were not the guys feeding the live stream, but some photographs taking pictures. They should not have been there

Maybe it’s because I’ve only been following this seriously for a couple years now, but hard disagree. I absolutely hate spending half the climbs terrified some drunk idiot is going to get someone’s bones broken. I wanted to see what damage Pog’s launch for the top of that final climb would have done if the motos had been able to move, not what some pasty white guy’s buttocks looks like.

People can shout and drop their pants on the other side of a string… at least in areas where it is very predictable the GC favorites are likely to be attacking each other… such as right before the line where a few handfuls of bonus seconds will be handed out.

1 Like

UAE and pog are just as strong as JV and Vinny this year. I’m not sure that strategy will work since they are in the front pulling and UAE is just sitting in their draft. But it is an interesting strategy.

1 Like

Climbing speeds have been stratospheric by post-1990s standards since the COVID-19 break, but this year takes the cake. They are really really fast.

Had Vingo and Poga not cat-and-moused the last kms of the Joux Plane, they would very likely have broken Mr. Pantani’s record. From 1997, of all years, and by Pantani, of all riders. They were faster over the first 10k, anyway.

Interesting. I wonder what the changes in pace over time look like. If it’s been a very steady, slow ramp up, maybe it’s just improving training and nutrition. If there is a big bump somewhere it suggests doping again IMO.

Of course…is it the whole race times got faster, or just the front? If it’s just measuring the front it could just be JV/Pogacar are exceptional on a historic level.

So took less than a day for another potentially race altering spectator caused incident with a spectator causing a big crash. Kuss and van Hooydonck down hard. Caused break to go from a short gap to over 2 minutes.

Slow-mo embedded into the article: https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/road-racing/tour-de-france/selfie-taking-spectator-causes-second-huge-crash-in-two-days-on-stage-15-of-tour-de-france/

2 Likes

Absolutely mind-boggling tactics by TJV and specifically by Vingergaard. Unbelievable they would let Wout go on a day where Jonas was down two riders. Unbelievable Jonas didn’t test Pogačar from 3, maybe 2K, to avoid the usual advantage Pogačar has on those 200~500m sprints. And it really looked like today was a less great day for Pogačar, with a few delays regaining wheels… something the DS in the car should be keeping an eye on, and then even where he usually has an advantage he was unable to get a single meter on Vingergaard.

At this stage I’m rooting for Pogačar as I don’t think TJV are doing everything they can/should to win this Tour.

1 Like

What a f’in idiot.

Thought Vingergaard should have put in at least one attack to test Pog. He is racing so conservatively, always in the wheel, it’s hard to support it, whereas Pog is always trying to make a gap.

If Pog wins GC by a very slim margin, it’s days like today that JV might regret.

2 Likes

From the TV perspective it looked like Jonas has missed 2 good opportunities to counter-attack over the past 2 days but only the riders know how they really felt. Jumbo made a really aggressive move earlier in the race and it backfired after Jonas made himself vulnerable to counter. Today, there’s at least a possibility that Pogi was trying to bait Jonas into an attack, after which he’d counter and bridge up to Yates and Soler to power through the summit.

Is Jonas riding overly conservatively or was he also on his limits? Only he knows, but with 2 UAE riders just up the road maybe he thought it was too risky to potentially fall into a trap… but having Pogi this close on time with so many bonus seconds left over the next week of riding is also extremely risky. I’m leaning towards missed opportunity.

1 Like