Thecopus Maku’u Mehune

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
There are, I believe, two species in this genus: maingayi x secunda. This is a cross between the two. Small flowers, slightly less than 1" NS. And a sweet, citrus fragrance.

Thecopus_MakuuMehune-flowers.jpg

Thecopus_MakuuMehune-side.jpg

Thecopus_MakuuMehune.jpg

Very intriguing flowers. Can you tell us a bit more about the plant? Is this a first flowering and do they produce more flowers per spike? Its looks like quite an attractive plant---are the brown blotches on the leaves sunburn or do they naturally get tatty like Stanhopea leaves?

Looks a lot like Thecopus secunda. :) I didn't know there was a hybrid in this genus. Thecopus are related to Thecostele, and both of these are pretty easy to grow. Semi-shade, moist whole year round. They have one main blooming season, I believe, and thecopus secunda flowers gregariously with many spikes from the base of the plant. I think the black blotches can't be helped, they do tend to get tatty..

Very intriguing flowers. Can you tell us a bit more about the plant? Is this a first flowering and do they produce more flowers per spike? Its looks like quite an attractive plant---are the brown blotches on the leaves sunburn or do they naturally get tatty like Stanhopea leaves?
Tyrone, I can't say very much -- I've only had the plant a couple of months. The leaf on the far side is a new one, and so far, it doesn't have the brown spots. It doesn't look like sunburn to me, but that maybe it had some kind of fungus or bacteria problem, like most of the Onc. Sharry Babies I've seen. Time will tell if this is a permanent feature, or something in the past.

Paphioboy's culture tips are pretty much what I follow. I have it in small PrimeAgra (not S/H) so that it drains well. I've been watering it 2x per week.

Really interesting. Definitely one of the stranger, more dramatic columns I've seen on any orchid.

Latest posts

Back