Encyclia mariae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Too bad I took the pic too late (when the oldest blooms were yellowing). And too bad I didn't center it correctly on the top of the pot...

Encycliamariae_web.jpg

Wow! I've never seen one of these grown and bloomed so well. Congratulations! Is it growing in that pot; or, is it on a mount that you have temporarily placed in the pot?

Thank you everybody!!! I was so glad with this plant this year!

Wow! I've never seen one of these grown and bloomed so well. Congratulations! Is it growing in that pot; or, is it on a mount that you have temporarily placed in the pot?

I grow it in a clay pot with a bark mix since 2004. It is very very very easy to grow for me!

very nice, does that thing even have a non-blooming growth? awesome

Yes! There are 2 or 3 old growths that were not blooming this year :mad::eek::eek:

Just kidding... I think 1 or 2 of the old PB bloomed last year. I was mad when I saw such a poor flowering on such a large plant.

Unfortunatly I don't think I will get a lot of blooms next year!

An excellent specimen!! Well grown Erythrone! Please share your most detailed cultural methods with us/me:)

I grow it under a 1000 W HPS (Hortilux). In summer, I put an old screen under the ligthning source and the plant is not as close as it is in winter (sorry... I hope my explainations are easy to understand...).

I get the plant from Lecoufle in 2004. It was a seedling. It was a "replacement" for a plant I grew for more than 10 years when I was growing orchids when I was living in an apartment (it was a very tough plant... I grew my first plant on the warm side and did not change the mix often... It bloomed almost each year but was very small).

The plant from Lecoufle has been potted in a clay pot with a corse bark-based media. I always kept this species near the dry side in summer (less water than for my Catts) and in the "very-very-very dry side" in winter (Spraying water on the roots once a week, a true watering every 3 weeks. Fertilisation: far less than in summer, of course).

I must pay attention to a few pests in summer (thrips) and in winter (mealies on new growth).

This year, since the plants was growing ouside the pot I decided to put the pot on another one and to fill will bark/leca/large perlite mix.

Temperature:

Winter: nights: 11 to 14 C, days: less than 25 C

Summer: from 2004 to July 2011: days at 28 to 32, night around 20 C. I bought air conditioner last year so the days are now 26 to 28 C and nights near 18 C.

I hope these tips will help...

Latest posts

Back