Reef Fever

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortesque Wapsfish / Centropogon australis

SCIENTIFIC NAME - Centropogon australis

COMMON NAME - Fortesque Waspfish/Scorpionfish (Sometimes spelled Fortescue)

SIZE - 6" ( 15.24 cm)

MIN. AQUARIUM SIZE - 50 US Gal. (190 L)

RECOMMENDED TEMPERATURE: TEMPERATE SPECIES keep between 64-74° F

FOODS AND FEEDING - Readily accepts frozen foods, meaty items such as brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, silversides, scallops, lobster, etc. Feed 2-4 time a week.

REEF COMPATIBILITY - With caution. Will eat ornamental shrimps, but otherwise a great reef inhabitant.

CAPTIVE CARE - Provide with plenty of hiding places, with time the fortesque will adjust to aquarium life and always be out in the open. Prolonged health of this fish requires keeping it in cooler water. WARNING VENOMOUS SPINES

Attachments

• forty.jpg
    forty.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 526

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the entry! If you find more that is missing please create them and if you need an image for a fish let me know. :)

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet. They were collected in water at an above tropical temperature, so I'm gradually lowering the tank temp over the course of a few weeks to acclimate them better. I figured pulling them out of warm water and putting them in cold water straight away was a baaad idea. They thrive and spawn in above tropical temperatures here in south NSW for half of the year, so I figured a few weeks in captivity at that temp won't hurt :)

OP
OP
Reef Fever

Reef Fever

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet. They were collected in water at an above tropical temperature, so I'm gradually lowering the tank temp over the course of a few weeks to acclimate them better. I figured pulling them out of warm water and putting them in cold water straight away was a baaad idea. They thrive and spawn in above tropical temperatures here in south NSW for half of the year, so I figured a few weeks in captivity at that temp won't hurt :)
I'd agree, glad you're planning on keeping them at cooler temps though, they just don't last in warmer water. theres a reason they only travel to warmer waters to spawn lol! jealous that you found some though, mine was one of my favorite fish for a long time, i had to order one through a supplier back when as no one locally carries them ever

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd agree, glad you're planning on keeping them at cooler temps though, they just don't last in warmer water. theres a reason they only travel to warmer waters to spawn lol! jealous that you found some though, mine was one of my favorite fish for a long time, i had to order one through a supplier back when as no one locally carries them ever

Yea I was going to keep them in warmer water but felt it would have been a bit cruel. I wouldn't want the poor little guys suffering just because I was too lazy to change the temp.
I've never seen them in the fish trade before. Actually here in Australia it's difficult to find any scorpionfish besides lions, at least in my area. I collected these myself in a lake nearby. We get them from babies up to fully grown adults on a regular basis. Most of the oyster farmers locally find dozens or more of them with every harvest :)

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 34 48.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back