IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coccoloba Rugosa

Gbarce

Coccoloba Rugosa is suppose to be related to the Sea Grape Tree.

It has very thick leathery leaves that are really huge.  

I'd really like to know more about this tree.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Hello Gene,

I will try to post a few pictures of some of mine in pots, as well as the ones planted at my house. This is definitely one of my favorite plants in my garden, or anywhere for that matter. The leaf is incredible, and I look forward to mine flowering one day. I like it even more so than C. pubescens.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks for the pics hope to see more.  I hear that the leaves get up to 4 feet across-- is that true or exagerrated?  This eventually ends up as a tree right?

How much would a small one cost?

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

A group of small 3gallon plants at the nursery.

Jeff

post-23-1197512769_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

This was an airlayer that I put on one of the small plants, and it took.

Jeff

post-23-1197512881_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Those are really gorgeous jeff.  They will eventually branch out like a regular tree right?

wahts the maximum size of the leaf?  Are other species even bigger ?

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Gene,

Thanks, I knew you would enjoy them. They do start to branch on their own at this size, often from down below and not up top where you would think. I'm not sure how much bigger the leaf will get, maybe a little more. And I'm still not sure how big this tree gets before it starts to flower. Not real tall, maybe in the 15' size(??). I did hear that there is a larger leaf Coccoloba specie growing down in the Amazon somewhere, but thats all.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff,

Do these require the same care and growing conditions of the common sea grape we have here?  I saw one at Ruth Sallenbach's house a couple of years ago and wanted on then.  Didn't know you have them.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Kitty,

Was it definitely C. rugosa and not C. pubescens? Either plant, it's a great addition to the collection in a garden. To answer your question though, I'm not sure on the salt tolerance. But, as far as wind, they seem to hold up good, and they take full sun conditions. This is a tough plant. Where as C. pubescens enjoys some shade through the hottest part of the day to look it's nicest. This is more of a tree,or could be prunned up to look like a tree maybe a little more than seagrapes, although that can be shaped into a tree after many years.But I have seen pictures of the flower and it's a real plus. But, so far, I'm in love with this plant and it's been growing  like a champ with no issues.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff,

Pretty sure it was C. rugosa.  It looked very much like yours in its growth habit.  The only water near me is fresh so I am not concerned about the salt tolerance.  My biggest concern is sun tolerance.  Sounds like it would do fine in my yard.

Now all I need to do is find one! :D

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Kitty,

I do have some for sale, if your interested in one. But they are all pretty big now. PM me if your interested.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 3 weeks later...

They actually get quight large if allowed, ive seen pic''s of large trees that got over 45ft, but hey were old. sparce brancher that can branch much more if trimmed regularly for a while.  and from what i have seen they tolerate salt rather well, would not plant it in a swamp, but as long as it is not submerged they should be fine. leaves verry in size eve on the same plant, with larger specimins having larger leaves, (generally). flower is also cool, my largest put out its 1st this year, about 1ft long red poker lookin thing. really cool, and they can get up to t feet long on large trees.

I have several small 1g size plants available if jeff's are to large.

Scott C

rare flowering trees, palms and other exotics

This is the specimen that got me interested.  The vendor only has one for his own collection and at this point he is just establishing it.

post-1017-1200145720_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hmmm.... the leaves of this one look a lot rounder than the ones in the  otherpictures.  Could it be a different plant?

post-1017-1200145829_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Gene,

It looks like C pubescens.

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

I agree. And if so, there should be some small pubescen hairs on the leaf. Still a great plant for your collection.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff,

I think you asked me about these plants some time ago.  I have seen plants that look a lot like these growing in secondary vegetation around here.  I am going to take a bette look now that I have a better idea of what to look for.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

I've seen photos from the Amazon of absolutely gigantic Coccoloba's; much,much bigger than pubescens or rugosa-not sure if it's environmental or they are different species. Let us know if you run across any of these!

San Fernando Valley, California

ive heard of these monster leaved coccolobas to, but no one had ever produced a name seed or plants. Although, i didsee a pic once of A lief that was well over 4feet long and maybe 2 feet wide..... thats impressive

rare flowering trees, palms and other exotics

(amazondk @ Jan. 12 2008,20:43)

Jeff,

I think you asked me about these plants some time ago.  I have seen plants that look a lot like these growing in secondary vegetation around here.  I am going to take a bette look now that I have a better idea of what to look for.

dk

Don,

You think you can get seeds?   :D

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Sorry Scott, I thought I had the photo stashed somewhere but can't seem to find it now- I'll keep looking.

To all,

I will have a couple of my plants on display in my booth this weekend at the TPIE show. Most of the plants in my booth will be palms, but I really want to push this plant and open some "eyes". I'm looking to catch some attention,if I may. Ryan (Palmarum) has started a thread on this Show in the DISCUSSING PALM TREES WORLDWIDE forum where you can then see a couple on display.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 2 weeks later...

I found the photo of what was identified by someone as a Coccoloba from Brazil.  I have no idea whether this is accurate or not, but check out this leaf:

Coccoloba.jpg

OMG!  That looks cool!  The guy looks like an Oompaloompa in comparison.  OK Scott, now you gotta get this one on the market.

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

• 5 years later...

Nice plant! Does anyone have small ones available? This is an old thread but would like to revive it. Any pictures of adult specimens to see size comparison.

Thanks!

We have 7 gal. to 100 gal. available at our nursery in Homestead. Here are a few photos:

post-1566-0-67105100-1378929292_thumb.jp

This one is 15' tall

post-1566-0-36481300-1378929323_thumb.jp

Newly emerging flower stalk

post-1566-0-13187200-1378929330_thumb.jp

Mature flower stalk

post-1566-0-77977000-1378929740_thumb.jp

Full size leaf

Contact me privately for more information if you are interested.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Was just in Roatan, last week, and saw this growing on the side of the road. Thought it was just from Puerto Rico, but I guess it is native to this Island too...

20170328_181343.jpg

This was growing alongside Attalea cohune and across the road was a species of Bactris. I would bet this was not planted as everything I saw, in this particular area, looked to be untouched and undeveloped.

20170328_181541.jpg

OK, I am being told by some of my peers that the plant I saw was not rugosa. Honest mistake! Still cool plant and maybe still worth posting? Moderator--remove, if you choose to :rolleyes: