IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Salacca magnifica!

Cindy Adair

This one has been on my wish list for years! 

A friend in PR who prefers to remain anonymous has an amazing group of them but no flowers yet. 

CA0AF4C2-C67D-4038-9B38-76C5CF196F04.thumb.jpeg.4c65000e3648bc7ab93589ea118e9905.jpeg

Last Fall they allowed me and another friend to try for divisions.

More details here 

A1058BBF-8FB4-4496-B036-74AB0A6BF8CD.thumb.jpeg.b081f1aede78c24cac64414e3cf6fde3.jpeg

Just that part was quite an adventure but I had to depart with my division only partially cut. Of course that’s ideal except that returning to check on progress and getting it to my farm is easier said than done. 

• Like 7

Cindy Adair

Fast forward to a couple of days ago and another friend with a second home here texted that they had flown into PR and planned to visit the Salacca grove owner en route to their place.

I asked if they might possibly be willing to get my division as I had heard that the owner had bagged it up. 

Hooray! They hauled it to within an easy 20 minutes from me and yes, it went into my Prius/farm truck substitute to my porch.DAA576EF-CF8A-49FD-9815-CC2B0E881271.thumb.jpeg.2ecc470a79e2ed4abc94d709a9d630e0.jpeg

Very heavy and even with some trimming of spines awkward for me to carry to my new potting area.

The longest leaf had a partially broken petiole which I tried to splint. 

As you might see I had to lean that very tall leaf against the upper metal supports or it would have toppled over.

19B445D9-B894-4E2E-A76A-C6E1A57BBA50.thumb.jpeg.06562ad81aadfd0b4f2a4d677f55b80d.jpeg

I realized that I needed put it into a stable heavy pot in my shadehouse and lacking assistance I would not be able to lift it afterwards. 

So instead I moved the pot and potting mix into the shadehouse nearby and managed to get it done there. 

I expect I will lose that tallest leaf, but wanted to keep it longer as the giver had done?

Or should I cut it off now? Opinions welcome!

Clearly I will get help to move it to its growing spot in the ground likely a few acres away and down some hills, but prefer to wait until we get steady rains again in a few months. 

I also want to consider the best possible space with plenty of room, but away from paths and with viewing from above and below with wind protection and wetter soil, right?

F1E8C83D-EDBD-43F5-9503-17E423CB6095.thumb.jpeg.0b33a0c30a61fedb4ca982562d1c9667.jpeg

Definitely it will not stay in my shadehouse path with recently purchased pavers awaiting leveling and digging into position before the rainy season.

It does have a proper label but predawn so can’t take that photo now. 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

A nice little adventure in obtaining that palm an amazing palm incredible leaf and a nice greenhouse you have as well top set up 

• Like 1

You're turning into the old version of me ! Long road trips, big palms, little car, dragging pots that weigh more than I did, potting up exactly where the palm is staying and doing everything by myself.  You'll never be eligible to be a 'Real Housewife of San Juan' with so much fortitude and independent attitude. I have never been able to tell the difference between Salaccas and Joeys and no room in the garden for one even if they could survive my weird climate. I do envy your access to such  a big variety of palms. Now that all the nurseries within driving distance for my tiny car have closed, I have to hope for a surprise find in regular nurseries or purchase from la famille on PT.  My pioneering purchase attempts on E Bay were glorious disasters ! Keep up the good work Cindy and show the world that there are still a few capable sheilas around.

Peachy

• Like 2

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

6 minutes ago, peachy said:

You're turning into the old version of me ! Long road trips, big palms, little car, dragging pots that weigh more than I did, potting up exactly where the palm is staying and doing everything by myself.  You'll never be eligible to be a 'Real Housewife of San Juan' with so much fortitude and independent attitude. I have never been able to tell the difference between Salaccas and Joeys and no room in the garden for one even if they could survive my weird climate. I do envy your access to such  a big variety of palms. Now that all the nurseries within driving distance for my tiny car have closed, I have to hope for a surprise find in regular nurseries or purchase from la famille on PT.  My pioneering purchase attempts on E Bay were glorious disasters ! Keep up the good work Cindy and show the world that there are still a few capable sheilas around.

Peachy

I have a Joey palm or two for you peachy 

• Like 1

I had tried to do the same and lost it every time however I did find a smaller alternative salacca minuta maybe. Good luck with the adventure I hope u are successful 

71DD2FA3-4C19-4313-8952-D54393D44D82.jpeg

• Like 3

I'd be delighted to plant either species at Pinecrest Gardens. we have the right mainland U.S. environment for them to do well. Unfortunately, we only have a very big S. zalacca.

12 hours ago, happypalms said:

I have a Joey palm or two for you peachy 

Thanks Richard but no thanks.  They take up too much space and can touchy if we have a freak cold night.

• Upvote 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

On 1/18/2024 at 5:46 AM, happypalms said:

A nice little adventure in obtaining that palm an amazing palm incredible leaf and a nice greenhouse you have as well top set up 

Yes, the adventure part alone will remain in my memories along with a day with fellow Palm aficionados.

Thanks about my shadehouse. So much easier than my former greenhouse in VA with limited land space and restrictions there plus the need to cool and heat. So almost nothing to maintain keeping my average city water bill for my house and plants in pots about $30/month.

Here the main concerns are wind, only with hurricanes and the potential for falling trees or branches from the slope above.

These would likely only ruin shade cloth as the frame is super sturdy and set deeply in concrete.

Cindy Adair

23 hours ago, peachy said:

Peachy

Hi Peachy! I always enjoy your posts and credit you among those whose posts and encouragement kept me on PT beginning around 2007.

So me reminding you of your younger self is quite a compliment!

I suggest that we both retain that spirit as it is ageless (I hope).

You are correct that I would not fit well on any “Real Life Housewives” show from what I hear although I have never watched an episode. 

Australia’s rules do make it tough to share internationally, but I hope they also keep Palm eating rhino beetles away.

Cindy Adair

14 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

I had tried to do the same and lost it every time however I did find a smaller alternative salacca minuta maybe. Good luck with the adventure I hope u are successful 

71DD2FA3-4C19-4313-8952-D54393D44D82.jpeg

John, sorry to hear you don’t yet have this species but the one in the photo is quite lovely too! 

And who knows if my division will ultimately make it but like other things in life, had I not tried I would have had zero chance of success!

Cindy Adair

14 hours ago, hbernstein said:

I'd be delighted to plant either species at Pinecrest Gardens. we have the right mainland U.S. environment for them to do well. Unfortunately, we only have a very big S. zalacca.

Pinecrest is a lovely place! If my friend’s grove ever makes seed and if he is willing to share, I will try to share some with you as well as trying for more here since they are dioecious. 

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

21 minutes ago, Cindy Adair said:

Yes, the adventure part alone will remain in my memories along with a day with fellow Palm aficionados.

Thanks about my shadehouse. So much easier than my former greenhouse in VA with limited land space and restrictions there plus the need to cool and heat. So almost nothing to maintain keeping my average city water bill for my house and plants in pots about $30/month.

Here the main concerns are wind, only with hurricanes and the potential for falling trees or branches from the slope above.

These would likely only ruin shade cloth as the frame is super sturdy and set deeply in concrete.

Yes the adventure is always a great part I recently visited a palm collection with a couple of palm talk members its amazing how everyone drops there guard with only palms on there mind palm talk has opined a whole new world for me in with many contacts people are more than willing to share there knowledge and seeds with fellow palm nuts I just had my greenhouse smashed by a falling limb iam currently rebuilding it unfortunately the tree in question succumbed to the chainsaw the birds that flocked to that tree are not happy with me the tropical climates are great for palm growing but hurricanes and cyclones are not for me 

12 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

John, sorry to hear you don’t yet have this species but the one in the photo is quite lovely too! 

And who knows if my division will ultimately make it but like other things in life, had I not tried I would have had zero chance of success!

I worked at floribunda for a few years and one of there plants would send out runners that would start new plants. I had tried many times but when I go to plant them they just sizzled out and died. I know it is possible but not for me. Good luck 

The very tall leaf with the injured petiole is dried up and clearly not going to make it. I will cut it off tomorrow.

That will leave the spear and another leaf that the grower trimmed leaving only a bit of blade. 

This one was not a runner, but a division but no idea if that matters.

Clearly I can not celebrate until much later.

Cindy Adair

Great acquisition I hope it does well for you!  I fear I’m too dry for one, I can’t grow Joey or Marojejya it seems so I assume this bloke is a no go for me,