IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Veitchia vitiensis

realarch

This little palm from Fiji is quite a stunner with it’s dark grey almost black crown shaft, thin trunk, and droopy crown. I originally acquired three bare root seedlings, one died, one is on the puny side, and the other one is swoon worthy. That description is probably impinging on Daves’ copyright. 

Here are some photos.

Tim

CC3BC989-D8BF-4809-B6FE-0640F33932AA.jpeg

E55FA586-BD45-49FA-BBAE-53A1986D23B8.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

A few more....btw, that’s a shovel handle next to the trunk for scale in the first post..

Tim

5395D09B-3DD3-445B-8E27-15D69876D90A.jpeg

61B9DA7E-1580-4B99-ADA0-D5255C38C05A.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

That is nice. I tried one from Jeff Marcus but it died while I was out of town one winter. Will have to try again.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Beautiful palm and it looks really well grown! I love that crownshaft. How are your Wettinia doing, btw?! 

I'm always up for learning new things!

Aloha Kyle, the Wettinia are doing well. The taller one had a bout of something but seems to have shaken it off. The stilt root South American stuff in general, are pretty happy.

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Absolutely amazing uncle Tim .  I just put a V . Simulins in and it has a similar appearance and is also from Fiji 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, John hovancsek said:

Absolutely amazing uncle Tim .  I just put a V . Simulins in and it has a similar appearance and is also from Fiji 

That prompts a request for a photo of it.  As John said, your V vitiensis is "incroyable"!

• Upvote 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Thanks Meg, Jim, Kyle, John , and Tracy. John, uncle is just about the nicest things one could call me, and I’ve been called many less flattering adjectives. 

Tracy, you should submit, ‘incroyable‘, for inclusion to the dictionary. :rolleyes:

I think we should turn this thread to include all Veitchia.

Tim

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

One of my favourite species of Veitchia! Thanks for posting, Tim.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

My garden is in the (beginning) phase and the one I put in was a 1 gallon so here is the mother palm at florabunda 

061EE90A-BAD7-4A22-A5E7-41AFA0036C86.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1