IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coccothrinax ID

Stevetoad

I’ve lost the tag for this cocco. I think it was called c. Roseii if I remember right. Anyway. It has extremely stiff leaves, grows very slowly and has a heel and tillers like a Sabal. Any ideas? 

55E109EE-DC8F-453B-98D8-8035657C1F71.jpeg

62460958-406E-451A-8C01-B7EFE33F4D99.jpeg

22D28B18-3B9B-4B75-B8E9-39CABD6768A1.jpeg

122B25A4-1681-48DC-83C4-7B8B08364467.jpeg

• Upvote 2

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Any ideas???

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Coccothrinax moaensis maybe

Coccothrinax_moaensis04.jpg

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

''Karma is a good girl, she just treats you exactly how you treat her"

1 hour ago, aztropic said:

Coccothrinax macroglossa.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

man I hope thats what it turns out to be. Do they tiller when young?

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

2 hours ago, Xhoniwaters1 said:

Coccothrinax moaensis maybe

Coccothrinax_moaensis04.jpg

would love it to be this as well

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Coccothrinax clarensis ?

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Not moaensis or clarensis Individual frond segments on those two are much stiffer and dagger like and will stab you as you walk by...Definitely macroglossa,which some will just lump into the miraguama complex.I've seen all 3 of these in habitat.Funny that you mention tillering... most macroglossa that I've seen have a club like base after forming a trunk.Here is mine.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

1534807207123.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

1 hour ago, aztropic said:

Not moaensis or clarensis Individual frond segments on those two are much stiffer and dagger like and will stab you as you walk by...Definitely macroglossa,which some will just lump into the miraguama complex.I've seen all 3 of these in habitat.Funny that you mention tillering... most macroglossa that I've seen have a club like base after forming a trunk.Here is mine.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

1534807207123.jpg

Yeah. Definitely looks like a match. Same weave, same heel. Can we see the whole palm? How old is yours?

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Hahaha. None of the aforementioned are the culprit-macroglossa (previously known as azul) would have chalky residue on the addaxial portion of the leaf-yours doesn't. Moaensis, it is not due to the orientation of the leaflets. It's a miraguama until proven otherwise-the true miraguama is a lovely palm with very stiff leaves and a beautiful trunk.

1 hour ago, Mandrew968 said:

Hahaha. None of the aforementioned are the culprit-macroglossa (previously known as azul) would have chalky residue on the addaxial portion of the leaf-yours doesn't. Moaensis, it is not due to the orientation of the leaflets. It's a miraguama until proven otherwise-the true miraguama is a lovely palm with very stiff leaves and a beautiful trunk.

how about miraguama var roseocarpa? I think that was the label. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

18 minutes ago, Stevetoad said:

how about miraguama var roseocarpa? I think that was the label. 

It certainly could be, Steve. I believe that is now acuminata... Pretty rare palm if so

2 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

While actually IN Cuba,looking at these palms in the ground,in habitat,our famous Cuban palm expert  Raul Verdecia called this green fronded palm out as macroglossa.It supposedly IS the same palm as "Azul".The blue coloring that Azul can achieve is due to the minerals in the particular area of serpentine soil where they are growing.That is why most of the Azul you see outside of that area are not very blue at all.Most macroglossa are actually green and we saw miles upon miles of them while traveling through the country.A very common palm in Cuba to be sure.

Like I mentioned before, you could just lump it into the miraguama complex and be done with it,but miraguama tends to be a tidier looking palm with very straight and stiff frond segments. 

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Coccothrinax_macroglossa

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Edited by aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

16 minutes ago, aztropic said:

While actually IN Cuba,looking at these palms in the ground,in habitat,our famous Cuban palm expert  Raul Verdecia called this green fronded palm out as macroglossa.It supposedly IS the same palm as "Azul".The blue coloring that Azul can achieve is due to the minerals in the particular area of serpentine soil where they are growing.That is why most of the Azul you see outside of that area are not very blue at all.Most macroglossa are actually green and we saw miles upon miles of them while traveling through the country.A very common palm in Cuba to be sure.

Like I mentioned before, you could just lump it into the miraguama complex and be done with it,but miraguama tends to be a tidier looking palm with very straight and stiff frond segments. 

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Coccothrinax_macroglossa

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

I would love to see some habitat pics if you got any! 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

25 minutes ago, aztropic said:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Awesome shots! Those Copernicia cowellii are stunning. How big are the c. moaensis that you sprouted now? Thank you

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Coccothrinax moaensis are still in the same community pot that they sprouted in 4 years ago.Very slow but steady.Even at this small size,the little strap leaves are VERY stiff!  (18 plants in a 2 gallon pot)

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

1534892733194.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Copernicia cowellii are surprisingly doing very well in my extreme desert environment.Here is one of my seedlings planted out in full,all day sun.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

1534893678576.jpg

• Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

Coccothrinax macroglossa has been a relatively fast grow in the desert.This one is only 13 years old from seed!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

1534894222512.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Although not as fast growing as in Florida,the seeds I collected of Copernicia baileyana (2 plants on left) and Copernicia gigas on right have already made it into 15 gallon pots in 4 years.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

1534894582933.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

19 minutes ago, aztropic said:

Coccothrinax macroglossa has been a relatively fast grow in the desert.This one is only 13 years old from seed!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

1534894222512.jpg

you got a great looking garden out there. Next time Im out that way Id love a tour. (yes I just invited myself). I have family in mesa and phoenix that i visit. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Don't know if you know jubaeaman138 (Chris) from this forum but he is coming out September 8 for a looksie.When ever you're in town,give me a yell!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

'azul' has color in South Florida and we don't have Cuban soils. Even in nursery mix, the chalky wax is apparent. I don't want to argue about anything, but I do know this as a fact.

The palm is acuminata, barring an original misslabeling-happy growing, Steve!

So, Cocco mira v roseocarpa is now Cocco acuminata? Thanks, didn’t know that. Pics below are from my C ‘roseocarpa’, and I can tell you it is quite different from my C ‘havanensis’ right next to it. The ‘havanensis’ pushes out 3 blooms at the same time and pollinates itself like crazy. The ‘roseocarpa’ puts out small pathetic blooms that barely or not at all get pollinated. In fact I have never gotten a viable seed from it. 

EC109AC3-3060-4B97-8927-17FEF6DBDCA3.jpeg

78E64123-1B94-47B1-930E-92719C991475.jpeg

BBC509C8-DA44-42F2-A6ED-D72A436D25AF.jpeg

9C3DAF68-2BF6-4524-B151-33777C1C6922.jpeg

214FF210-94AB-4497-9BCA-ACD91357F10F.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

This is Coccothrinax macroglossa 'azul' in habitat.

The two growing next to each other have obvious different amounts of 'blue' coloration in their fronds. Growing these here at the nursery I've found that many times plants have to be several years old before the 'blue' color starts to show.

The second photo is trunk fibers for comparison.

I'd say it's a very good chance that yours is C. macroglossa 'azul'.  Green or blue....we shall see.

In answer to a prior comment....Coccothrinax acuminata was formerly known as Coccothrinax miraguama ssp. arenicola and NOT Coccothrinax miraguama ssp. roseocarpa....

Coccothrinax macroglossa 'azul'  Camaguey, Cuba Dec. 98.jpg

Coccothrinax macroglossa 'azul' trunk fiber.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mike Harris

Caribbean Palms Nursery

Loxahatchee, Florida USA

Ah, thanks for the correction Mike, then I can keep calling mine roseocarpa then. Beautiful color on your palms!

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

On 8/24/2018, 9:26:16, Caribbean Palms said:

This is Coccothrinax macroglossa 'azul' in habitat.

The two growing next to each other have obvious different amounts of 'blue' coloration in their fronds. Growing these here at the nursery I've found that many times plants have to be several years old before the 'blue' color starts to show.

The second photo is trunk fibers for comparison.

I'd say it's a very good chance that yours is C. macroglossa 'azul'.  Green or blue....we shall see.

In answer to a prior comment....Coccothrinax acuminata was formerly known as Coccothrinax miraguama ssp. arenicola and NOT Coccothrinax miraguama ssp. roseocarpa....

Coccothrinax macroglossa 'azul'  Camaguey, Cuba Dec. 98.jpg

Coccothrinax macroglossa 'azul' trunk fiber.jpg

Yes, that is correct.