IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lets see yours

Ken Johnson

I thought it may be fun to see how many of you have a Heterospathe picture that you would share in this thread. I will post others palms too to see who else has one of what I have. Sound like fun?

Heteros only in this thread.

post-50-1153765881_thumb.jpg

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Ken,

so what species is that (your photo)??

Here's the latest addition to the genus: H. longipes (formerly Alsmithia longipes), a new inflorescence.

Bo

post-22-1153802230_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And a full view. It's the slender palm in the middle. Never holds more than four fronds or so.

post-22-1153802277_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Dear Knn,

the picture in post no.2 had impressed me.and i have not seen plastic pots in that Color_white.

And iam of the belief that black color retains warmth better tham lighter shades.while white pots would be a blessing for warm hot climates like india from where i hail from.

One family one tree..

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Just a side note that H. elata possesses more cold tolerance one would think.  Mine has seen 29F with only slight/moderate leaf tip damage.  I add this in case anyone is considering this for their "marginal" garden.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Heterospathe sp in Old Miakka, FL.

post-48-1153829521_thumb.jpg

Jeff Wilson

SW Florida - 26.97 N 82 W

Port Charlotte, FL, United States

Zone 9b/10a

hot, humid subtropical climate - mild winters

approx. 50" rain annually during growing season

Summer came too early, springtime came too late...

went from freezing cold to bleached out summer days

My H.phillippinensis is doing crap hence no photo. See if it improves after this winter.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Wal @ Jul. 25 2006,08:59)

My H.phillippinensis is doing crap hence no photo. See if it improves after this winter.

Wal,

I love an honest man ! LOL  Juice it up with some TLC... :D

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I thought I put this photo up already.....

post-48-1153835026_thumb.jpg

Jeff Wilson

SW Florida - 26.97 N 82 W

Port Charlotte, FL, United States

Zone 9b/10a

hot, humid subtropical climate - mild winters

approx. 50" rain annually during growing season

Summer came too early, springtime came too late...

went from freezing cold to bleached out summer days

There's a little bit of everything at the Bishock ranch.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

(Ray, Tampa @ Jul. 25 2006,07:51)

Just a side note that H. elata possesses more cold tolerance one would think.  Mine has seen 29F with only slight/moderate leaf tip damage.  I add this in case anyone is considering this for their "marginal" garden.

Ray

Ray-

Same here.

I have a small one in the ground (roughly 3 ft tall) and Feb 14th didnt seem to bother it much.  Although it was 34F at 5 ft above the ground on that morning, right at the ground level I measured 28F.  So, a good part of this palm saw temps below freezing.  

But...I wouldnt say these palms are fast.....  :(

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

I have a few seedlings of H. minor sitting in small pots in the shadehouse...It's definetly a species that should be avoided if you like plants that grow up fast...

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

• 1 month later...

Looking good Doug.

Mine has sped up since my last post in this thread.  Its now about 6 ft to the highest leaf.  Its actually a double palm, but one is growing far faster than the other.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Is anyone having trouble growing H. elata in our alkaline Florida soils?  Doesn't appear to be a problem.

Punta Gorda, Fla.

26 53 N 82 02 W

on a large saltwater canal basin 1/2 mile from beautiful Charlotte Harbor 10A/10B microclimate (I hope)

(glbower @ Sep. 11 2006,13:10)

Is anyone having trouble growing H. elata in our alkaline Florida soils?  Doesn't appear to be a problem.

While I'm unaware of there requirements (PH), mine is growing under a bunch of pines with a bunch of pine straw (needles). They tend to make the soil acid. I have never tested the ph of my sand but the pine has to lower the PH.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

These will probably be the smallest specimens that get posted here.  My two H.minor seedlings, just after I received them and potted them up.  One is already dead now, but the other is hanging in there.

I hope to add H.negrosensis, scitula and woodfordiana to the collection some time soon.

Heterospathe%20minor%20sized%2021-08-06.jpg

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

neofolis--are your palms mostly in the ground?from 1st glance at the climate info on your posts it doesn't seem that different from here except in july your "low" is lower

& in january your "high" is lower,but not by that much!

i didn't think it was that temperate in the UK ???

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Yes the UK is fairly temperate in terms of lack of extremes.  My palms are all potted, largely due to lack of space and a totally concrete covered garden.

Although our winter lows are not excessively low, they can be low for a long time and, without daytime heat for the palms to recover, it can be a problem.  Our lack of summer heat also means that palms take longer to recover from bad winters.  I have a few hardier species facing the elements, Phoenix, Trachycarpus, etc., all of the others are in a heated polytunnel, hence sticking with small/dwarf species.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

thanks for taking the time to enlighten me a bit on this!

still "warning-free."

(pohonkelapa @ Sep. 12 2006,12:46)

from 1st glance at the climate info on your posts it doesn't seem that different from here except in july your "low" is lower

& in january your "high" is lower,but not by that much!

i didn't think it was that temperate in the UK ???

Are we looking at the same stats?  The average in JULY for the UK is 22/11.  The average in JANUARY for downtown LA is 20/10....

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

As Neofolis points out, daytime temps during the winter would definitely be a major concern. Keep in mind, Los Angeles is roughly at 33 degrees North. Neofolis is probably right around 50 degrees North. Daylight during the winter months is very limited. Because of the short days, and the fact that the sun doesn't get very high, there's not that much difference in night and day temps. It's going to remain cool, if not cold, 24 hours a day (winter).

I remember when we lived in Poway, CA. During spring and fall it might be 36-38F/+2 to +3C early morning but in the afternoon it might be 86F/30C. This will never, EVER, happen in northern Europe.

thanks all for the discussion.i think the raw data can be a bit misleading...

still "warning-free."

Kim!

Great pics, but I notice there are no pix from California . . . . :(

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 years later...

no one ever answered kris about the "white plastic pots," which seem to be none other than common styrofoam cups.

i assume thats why you bumped this old thread,mr.knuckle.

still "warning-free."

These are great palms but I have found hardly any threads on Heterospathe. It seems to be an partially ignored genus.

Ron. :)

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Picked up a one gal. labeled as H. phillipsii. The vendor said there were 3 stems in the pot so there would be no confusion as to solitary or clumping.

Nice bronze color to the leaves and hopefully it should nicely.

Tim

post-1300-1244744405_thumb.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

PalmPictures4109008.jpgPalmPictures4109008.jpg

Not the best pictures but here is one of mine in a 15 gallon pot

Heterospathe elata

Bayside Tree Farms is located in Homestead Florida USA
(305) 245-9544

As I recall, H. elata likes a good bit of water. They grow beautifully in Miami.......with water. Paul Drummond had some growing in the front in S. Miami and hundreds of seeds would germinate under his trees. They were like a ground cover and had to be regularly pulled out. The new foliage was wine colored to red and very attractive. Growing in street medians without regualr watering and fertilizer, they didn't look so good.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I have a larger one, but I liked this photo of one of my elatas :D !

post-1035-1245153303_thumb.jpg

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I certainly cannot grow this genus here in Los Angeles, but I have seen a number of these grown in Hawaii or elsewhere, so someone has not forgotten them:

Heterospathe brevicaulis, Heterospathe cagayanensis, Heterospathe deliculata, Heterospathe elata and this last one, Heterospathe glauca is most curious to me as it has a crownshaft... Jeff Marcus has assured me this is the real thing, but I did not know Heterospathes could have crownshafts...

post-426-1245162509_thumb.jpg

post-426-1245162521_thumb.jpg

post-426-1245162534_thumb.jpg

post-426-1245162550_thumb.jpg

post-426-1245162570_thumb.jpg

post-426-1245162581_thumb.jpg

More Heterospathes: Heterospathe intermedia, Heterospathe longipes (aka Alsmithia longipes), Heterospathe micrantha, Heterospathe minor and Heterospathe phillipsii

post-426-1245162818_thumb.jpg

post-426-1245162829_thumb.jpg

post-426-1245162842_thumb.jpg

post-426-1245162854_thumb.jpg

post-426-1245162863_thumb.jpg

post-426-1245162874_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Very nice photos, Geoff! Does anyone have any info on Heterospathe glauca? Just picked up two and was wondering if anyone had any experience...

• 1 month later...

Here's a current shot of the little one in post # 31. I'm not so sure what it is anymore, but it's a showy palm and trouble free.

post-1300-056604900 1317268310_thumb.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tim, maybe Heterospathe negrosensis?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin