IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Milestone for Miami Beach Botanical Garden

Mandrew968

Last Friday, 7/22/2016, I installed two new species of Copernicia to the garden. That alone is a great moment, but not a milestone... unless one of the palms is a blue Copernicia rigida...

Yep, that's right--Miami Beach Botanical Garden has a blue rigida. Kind of a big deal in my opinion... 

rigida2.jpg

• Upvote 3

While out sourcing this very rare palm, a friend, Jody Haynes donated a Copernicia yarey to the garden! It was a huge day. 

yarey2.jpg

• Upvote 4

Both of these palms deserved a prominent place in the garden. So obviously I made room for them in Copernicia corner--a section of the garden where we already have species: baileyana, hospita, gigas, fallaensis and both alba and prunifera. Guess you can see why I came up with Copernicia corner...

I think this rigida fits in nicely... though a bit smaller than I had hoped for. She will grow!

rigida1.jpg

• Upvote 6

And I leave you with this last picture--one of my all time favorites of the garden. I would say both palms fit in really well with their placement.

yarey1.jpg

• Upvote 6

Good job , and Wow, what a place to work , look fwd to more pics, when you feel the urge.. 1 Q before I hit the hay . Is there any Copernicia curbeloi growing in the gardens?

Pete :) 

No curbeloi in the gardens. My personal one that I have had for 3 years plus, looks to be declining currently. This palm is the slowest palm I know of, by far!

Whoa!

That is a public place!

Wonderful. We need more of that here in California.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Having visited this garden twice I can attest that it is lovely! Wonderful additions Andrew!

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Andrew, I have never been to the Miami Beach Botanical Garden, I´ll have to check it out next time!  Great pictures thanks for posting!

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

18 hours ago, Peter Pacific said:

Andrew, I have never been to the Miami Beach Botanical Garden, I´ll have to check it out next time!  Great pictures thanks for posting!

I will be upset if you don't come and introduce yourself--I have met a few palmtalkers at this garden(trying my best to make this garden appealing to us palm lovers). Hope to meet a lot more, too!