IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis arenarum???

Kennybenjamin

This is a beautiful little palm that's growing at a good speed. Nothing ever bothers it and I'm curious on your thoughts.

I have always thought it to be arenarum like but it's not the lutescens look alike type arenarum? I'm sure there is variation in arenarum but this could be something different again?

image.thumb.jpeg.fa58d6b04916675b475b1bbimage.thumb.jpeg.d30a2151ebabe9a0b67e2b5

its got a sucker and a branch....

image.thumb.jpeg.df5c49959c3e385f5cfd813image.thumb.jpeg.faf802a433696b081e18d32

its in the bottom left of this pic with a couple of my other fave dypsis mystery types towards the back of the pic....

image.thumb.jpeg.2b976e485466d2250fd3e7d

• Upvote 5

Ben, the dark green stems will no doubt be black in Summer, I noticed @ Claytons that you would have seen, some had silver fronds , some green, it looks like the 1s I planted and where only 1 ft high and single with bright red spears, I grabbed the silver 1s but I think most have turned green, but they looked just like a Saintlucei, maybe the cool has made the leaves/fronds green? Lets hope they Morph into the Black stemmed silver leaved stunners that are shown on RPS. Palmpedia also shows many just like yours Ben so I vote for yes its Arenarum which in time will change and change and  look "nothing" like a Golden cane :)    Pete 

Its worth mentioning that POM notes that Saintlucei is closest to Ampasindavae.  :D

Pete  :)

Thanks Pete, Len appears to be the man re arenarum identification atm so i would love to hear his thoughts on it?

And yes Pete, this Palm to my eye looks the type that will produce a blackish stem / trunk

Different Palm but this also makes me think arenarum?? This one stayed single 

image.thumb.jpeg.e6a43b455df5b76af972826

image.thumb.jpeg.7c5610efacc56a3b200461a

This Palm looks much better and much blacker when it's wet....

• Upvote 3

Ben, I wouldn't say that. Just lucky to have seen them in habitat and look closely at them. Your plant looks different to what I saw. But I only had the chance to see them at one area which was the white sand forest of Sainte Marie. Yours is grown well and happy so maybe that is why it looks different. 

Here is what they all looked like on the island. Easy to see the difference from Lutescens and everything going around as Arenarum (in California at least). What do you think?

dypsis-arenarum-on-sainte-marie.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I also have this as arenarum.... This looks most likely out of the palms I have posted here to grow into Lens pic..... Maybe my first one isn't arenarum?

image.thumb.jpeg.637e85b522035e000ad786b

image.thumb.jpeg.835879b0dbb75849be6c9ed

• Upvote 1

Wow nice one Ben ,  I hope mine turns out to be something like your first pic , I got mine off Clayton last time I was down that way . Did yours look similar to mine when younger ? Pete , how about yours ? No idea on that last one Ben , mine throws red petioles when emerging like saintelucei , then turn yellow . Cool palms though . :greenthumb:

IMG_0519.thumb.JPG.3091e3e0e157f8e60f518IMG_0521.thumb.JPG.dc3adcdbe830d9753316a

I really need to get mine into the ground, not looking so great in the neglected pot it's in. Anyway, picked it up as D. arenarum...time will tell. 

Tim

P1030140.jpg

P1030141.jpg

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Rich, yours are just like ours look which start off single and very hard to tell apart from a saintlucei  , until they start to clump, good thing is is obviously a Sainlucei X which Len pointed  out so , another Dypsis hybrid to watch Morph and grow into only the future knows.

Ben, I have a "single" black stem/petiole just like yrs  and also a clumping one I think Tim posted his a while back with an unheard of name to me. I see some on Palmpedia which are very very similar to my large clumper which looks like Tims also under the Arenarum section..

Tim, did yours look like a single saint or did you buy it already clumping?.     Pete  :)

IMG_0519.thumb.JPG.3091e3e0e157f8e60f518

The thing that stands out to me about my first one as compared to the others that have the st lucei look to them is that mine has no speckling in the crownshaft area. I think Richie's and Tims both possibly do?

St lucie hybrids ya think Pete? That's interesting. I have those as well but to dark for pics right now sorry 

Ben, mine has the speckling just like Richies and we both got em off Clayton and Kris has also said how fast his  are growing, who knows, maybe some are hybrids, maybe some the real deal??

I really want to get my single black stem black petiole out into full sun to "chunk" it up like yours :)

What will be , will be, look fwd to yr St Lucei hybrid pics 2 moz.   Pete :) 

14 minutes ago, Kennybenjamin said:

The thing that stands out to me about my first one as compared to the others that have the st lucei look to them is that mine has no speckling in the crownshaft area. I think Richie's and Tims both possibly do?

13 minutes ago, Kennybenjamin said:

St lucie hybrids ya think Pete? That's interesting. I have those as well but to dark for pics right now sorry