IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Another Ptychosperma to identify ... any ideas.??

DUNDEE

Extremely slender trunks , and despite their small size they have been fruiting for several years now. Fruits are deep red when ripe and the size of P. microcarpum.

P1060242.JPG

P1060237.JPG

P1060243.JPG

P1060238.JPG

P1060239.JPG

• Upvote 1

I would say Waitianum/Burretianum. No one seems to know the difference and there is high variation in the leaf within this complex. I have both thin leaf form with slight plumosity and the wide leaf form. 

3 hours ago, Ntheastpalms said:

Perhaps Ptychosperma nicolai

I believe this is the name for a specific hybrid.

Thanks guys....

Can't be P. nicolai  though because the leaflets are very evenly arranged and according to this page P.nicolai are irregularly arranged http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Ptychosperma_nicolai

Also my plant has a fairly small stiffly held inflorescence like I have seen on a specimen of Waitianum in Cairns botanical gardens, it is very much the fishtail version though. 

From what I have seen palms usually labeled as P.  burretianum have long pendulose inflorescence. 

I'm going with P. Waitianum  var "fine leaf"

First, I'm pretty confident that P. nicolai is not a valid species. Second, I would say it's not P. waitianum. The leaflets don't match up. Also, fruit color would be a dark purple.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

11 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

First, I'm pretty confident that P. nicolai is not a valid species. Second, I would say it's not P. waitianum. The leaflets don't match up. Also, fruit color would be a dark purple.

There is a lot of variation in the leaf form, from what I have seen, locally for waitianum/burretianum. I think his own Identification is spot on...

40 minutes ago, Mandrew968 said:

There is a lot of variation in the leaf form, from what I have seen, locally for waitianum/burretianum. I think his own Identification is spot on...

"From what you seen"? Ha ha. Besides driving around the block, maybe do a little search on what P. waitianum looks like in situ. There should be no variations. Unless it's hybridized with another species. Just the mention of deep red fruit discounts that's P. waitianum. :bemused:

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

3 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

"From what you seen"? Ha ha. Besides driving around the block, maybe do a little search on what P. waitianum looks like in situ. There should be no variations. Unless it's hybridized with another species. Just the mention of deep red fruit discounts that's P. waitianum. :bemused:

I should have known my ignorance would rear its head. Forgive me for speaking out of turn--you are correct in that the extent of my knowledge is just from within my meager city block... Please exacerbate on what has been an enigmatic pairing of two species(waitianum and burretianum)--to which Encyclopedia of Cultivated Palms 2nd edition has yet to clarify... I am all ears, Mr. Searle--have my mouth shut and am ready to learn.