IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Some Veitchia Time

realarch

So, I was going to say......this is my favorite genus, but it seems almost every genus is my favorite. Ok, I really like

this genus and it contains some wonderful species. Here are a few from the garden, from medium large to rather diminutive.

Great leaf color and some interesting trunk/crownshaft marking. Easy grow, relatively pest and disease free and not fertilizer hogs. 

Veitchia subdisticha, a small grove of seven, full sun, and on a steep slope. They love the extra good drainage.

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1153.jpg

• Upvote 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

V. vitiensis. Great little palm with a nice droopy habit. Good crownshaft color too. Got these back in 2011 as seedlings......somewhat of a slow grow

and seemed a bit fragile in the beginning. I should probably get some more and fill out the grouping. Great leaf color. Small palm, good scale. 

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

V. sessifolia. Another small palm and looks similar to V. vitiensis. Even slower and more fragile than V. vitiensis. I think I had six and managed to lose five of them.

This one pulled through and seems happy. Crownshaft not quite as nice as the others. 

IMG_1180.jpg

IMG_1181.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

IMG_1185.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

V. metiti. Ummm.....verdict is still out on this one. Kinda wimpy even in a grove of six. Looking better though, so time will tell. Skinny little dudes and not much of a crown. Pretty leaf. Kinda slow.

IMG_1189.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg

IMG_1618.jpg

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

V. arecina. Great palm and some of the first palms I planted back in late 2008. Spectacular as a small palm and just as nice as a large specimen. The white crownshaft and those black markings at the base of the petiole are so distinctive. Never regretted planting what could be called a common palm. Fast, beautiful, and never a PIA.

IMG_1613.jpg

IMG_1610.jpg

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Last one. V. joannis. Another beautiful species, pendant leaves are the feature. The crownshaft not near as nice as V. arecina in my opinion. Growth pretty much the same as V. arecina. (this spell check is driving me nuts, gonna have to check into that) 

Hard to get a good photo of this one, but it's finally starting to have a presence. 

Tim

IMG_1615.jpg

IMG_1616.jpg

• Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Thanks for sharing

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

These are my Veitchia joannis. These are the offspring of my oldest palm.The first palm that I germinated in Guatemala.I received the seeds from the famous Inge Hoffman and actually carried them on the flight with me in January 1989.

These are planted at the entrance to my beach house and have been in the ground about 12 yrs. I have two more Veitchia joannis closer to the ocean ,but they do not look as nice as these do.

I have V.arecina too,but Veitchia joannis is my favorite.

Front IMG_1024.thumb.jpg.4e6eb76c38a15a6eb3884 

BackIMG_1022.thumb.jpg.24baebdcf2ed451d9c5c6

• Upvote 3

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

I have V.arecina too,but Veitchia joannis is my favorite.

Interesting information; I'll enjoy my Veitchia joannis.

In the same way I'd recommend  to PT members not to plant Rhopalobaste beside V. joannis; they do not match., too similar but different; you'll compare and find one species nicer than the other.

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

• 2 weeks later...

Tim, you have so many nice Veitchia specis. I would love to try some of those smaller ones but they are almost impossible to find. My occasional extra cold winters make them marginal here but the ones I have have gotten large so I hope dense jungle plantings and the nearby canal will give them an edge.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I really enjoy the large Veitchia species commonly used in the warmer parts of FL.  They add an exotic flare to the skyline wherever they can be grown. I know of one or two successful planting outside the Coconut zones, but they are uncommon, and I presume the species is V. winn, the purported hardiest of the genus.  I have little exposure to the small ones but some look like they'd work in pot for a while and might be worth a try considering those beautiful crownshafts.  If I were just one climate zone warmer, I'd have a yard full of them!  Thanks for posting pix of a genus that doesn't get enough respect!  

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Neat palms, Tim, especially the smaller, rarer species that I know nothing about. I have just germinated some Veitchia pachycladys, maybe they'll be winners.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.