IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

does any one have syagrus picrophylla

Stevetoad

I got a syagrus picrophylla from the Quaman a while ago. im debating now if its in the right spot as one day the leaves may touch my neighbors house.(there was a queen palm there that use to rub on his roof and wore out the shingles) my question is how wide is the crown? is it comparable to a queen? also there doesnt seem to be to many pics of this one online so if you got one please post a pic....

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

I've got one, and I'm not sure exactly how big they get. I've seen some that look like a fat, lush queen palm with a narrower crown.

Steve, how far from the roof did you have in mind?

They appear to be a lot slower than queens, though my inferior spousery might be a problem too.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks guys,

Dave its about 8 feet away from 8-10 feet away from there roof

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Here is one at Leu Gardens. It was planted in May 1995, about 2-3ft tall. This photo is several years old but it is only about a foot taller. Its like a much more slender Queen Palm with smaller leaves that are much more open.

6905.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

When I get back from the Dark Tower, I'll try to get a pic of mine. It's buried among a lot of other plants, including A. purpurea and D. lutescens, and R. glauca on the assumption it would rocket upwards and tower above, a nice high-medium-low effect. So far, just low-low-low.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I got a syagrus picrophylla from the Quaman a while ago. im debating now if its in the right spot as one day the leaves may touch my neighbors house.(there was a queen palm there that use to rub on his roof and wore out the shingles) my question is how wide is the crown? is it comparable to a queen? also there doesnt seem to be to many pics of this one online so if you got one please post a pic....

Which of the Battlestar Gallactica epoch was "the Quaman" featured in? Season 7 right?

Here is one at Leu Gardens. It was planted in May 1995, about 2-3ft tall. This photo is several years old but it is only about a foot taller. Its like a much more slender Queen Palm with smaller leaves that are much more open.6905.jpg

That's a bad example of one in opinion.

Steve, this is what they should like like:

http://www.pacsoa.org.au/wiki/Syagrus_picrophylla

I have one with a few feet trunk and while not sure the final size, the one I have seems tender to cold and spots up most winters. Does yours look good after the last cold spell? I beginning to think mine is something else.

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Hey Steve,

Neighbor Terry's is about 10' overall. It's pretty beefy at the base, which gives it a stockier appearance. I would say it's crown is probably somewhat more compact than a queen, but it looks really good. I don't think you're looking at a 25-30' spread, like some queens can get to.

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

As Len mentioned, they are more cold sensitive than queens. How does yours come out of winter Steve?

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

In my climate I have found it to be almost equally cold sensitive to Syagrus coronata, but, unlike latter, it overcomes every winter's shock faster, thus having a better regeneration ability.

Here is one at Leu Gardens. It was planted in May 1995, about 2-3ft tall. This photo is several years old but it is only about a foot taller. Its like a much more slender Queen Palm with smaller leaves that are much more open.6905.jpg

That's a bad example of one in opinion.

Steve, this is what they should like like:http://www.pacsoa.org.au/wiki/Syagrus_picrophylla

I have one with a few feet trunk and while not sure the final size, the one I have seems tender to cold and spots up most winters. Does yours look good after the last cold spell? I beginning to think mine is something else.

Mine is on the side of my home that has a shade cloth over it. It looks fine. No cold damage but then again I have a s.psudococos in that same area with no damage and a variegated plumeria that is still holding all its leaves. So I dont think its a fair cold test. Probably saw 35 when every thing else hit 30

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Steve, I have a 15 gal 8' tall Sy. Picro. that saw 30F for 3 hours in Vista and looks really good. It was in marginal protection but the fronds were above any canopy. I hope this helps?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

When I get back from the Dark Tower, I'll try to get a pic of mine. It's buried among a lot of other plants, including A. purpurea and D. lutescens, and R. glauca on the assumption it would rocket upwards and tower above, a nice high-medium-low effect. So far, just low-low-low.

Would that be the Dark Tower of Doom ? :blink2:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Here's mine.

It's buried behind the Ravenea glauca in the front.

A queen palm in the ground as long as this one would be about 20 feet tall. This was planted about 10 years ago.

Slow.

post-208-0-29866800-1421031908_thumb.jpg

This is a close up of the trunk, about 6 inches 15 cm across.

post-208-0-37563700-1421032014_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty sure there's one planted on the corner of 25th and Market, just east of downtown San Diego.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Don Tollefson used to have a nice one up at his place in Malibu, though the deer loved to eat it.

Don Tollefson used to have a nice one up at his place in Malibu, though the deer loved to eat it.

So not that 'picro' as the specific name suggests!

attachicon.gif

attachicon.gif

attachicon.gif003.JPG

The trunk seems a bit different from the one on mine, David's has, I think, longer internodes

post-6141-0-12942200-1421085875_thumb.jp