IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Heterospathes

Mandrew968

I really like this genus. I think it's a real winner for South Florida. First up is what I purchased as Heterospathe scitula. I love the color of the new leaf.

post-5491-0-18865000-1346006802_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-67088500-1346006822_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-88654400-1346006844_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-40810500-1346006866_thumb.jp

It has the look of H. scitula, I used to have several of them up to 4'. But only if it's suckering......

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 2 months later...

Looks great, any idea how cold sensitive is it?

Also, do you guys have experience with heterospathe delicatula? Isnt it considered the more cold hardy along minor?

Zone 9b(10a)...Cool, humid and rainy winters... very little frost but little sunny days...
08023.gif

I have delicatula, but as far as Heterospathe is concerned, they are all cold tolerant for my place. Sorry I don't know their limits, but if you don't get frost or freeze for very long, you might be good with this genus.

Thanks Mandrew, so the limits of +5C on the net for species like elata are wrong?

Zone 9b(10a)...Cool, humid and rainy winters... very little frost but little sunny days...
08023.gif

Nice new purple leaf. I've never even heard of that species but would certainly like to give it a try. Besides the ones in the photos (hover for names), I have. H. longipes and H. deliculata, all seedlings. I'd enjoy more photos if anyone else cares to add theirs!

post-4111-0-89875800-1353416490_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-49627000-1353416508_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-67972700-1353416665_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-52383000-1353416689_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Thanks Mandrew, so the limits of +5C on the net for species like elata are wrong?

I don't know much about celcius, but there are many Heterospathe elatas around South Florida and we freeze, occasionally(for brief moments).

• Like 1

Good luck all with your Heterospathe's, it's a nice genus. I've got a couple here in Hilo, H. intermedia and one I acquired as H.phillipsii and both have the stunning new red/bronze leaf.

The H. phillipsii name on mine is suspect, I think it's something else.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 1 month later...

Here's a pic of what I acquired as H. phillipsii, but honestly I doubt it is that. None the less, it's a beautiful palm and

incredibly trouble free. There were three plants in the same 1 gal. pot, so it is not a clumper. The new leaf varies from

maroon to bronze and holds it color for quite awhile. I also have a couple of H. intermedia in pots and they have the same

colorful leaf as well.

post-1300-0-69241100-1357930631_thumb.jp

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I don't know much about celcius, but there are many Heterospathe elatas around South Florida and we freeze, occasionally(for brief moments).

There is also a tall H. elata growing at the Selby Gardens in Sarasota and our winter lows are colder than in South Florida.

There is also a tall H. elata growing at the Selby Gardens in Sarasota and our winter lows are colder than in South Florida.

Where at Selby is it located?

Skell's Bells

Inland Central Florida, 28N, 81W. Humid-subtropical climate with occasional frosts and freezes. Zone 9b.

Jason it's next to an Arenga australasica clump on that little circle where there is also a Colpothrinax and other stuff. I'll look through my photos to be more exact.

That H. longipes is really nice, you don't see too many of those around. That new leaf color is pretty sweet.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Jason it's next to an Arenga australasica clump on that little circle where there is also a Colpothrinax and other stuff. I'll look through my photos to be more exact.

Colpothrinax??? That's not an easy palm to grow, nor is it anything but rare. Part of me is not even believing it... Alex--you know palms, so Colpothrinax? Can you possibly get a photo? From what I know, wrightii needs water close by/dark heavy clay soil and cookii may be just as difficult and exacting with its' requirements(most of the ones I have seen were on death's door).

Colpothrinax??? That's not an easy palm to grow, nor is it anything but rare. Part of me is not even believing it... Alex--you know palms, so Colpothrinax? Can you possibly get a photo? From what I know, wrightii needs water close by/dark heavy clay soil and cookii may be just as difficult and exacting with its' requirements(most of the ones I have seen were on death's door).

Andrew I should have a picture somewhere. If I don't find one, I'll just shoot a new one next time I'm there.

This is my Heterospathe longipes.

beautiful palm...

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Below are pictures of Heterospathe elata and Colpothrinax cookii from Selby Botanical Gardens

post-3501-0-55838200-1358318170_thumb.jp

post-3501-0-48523100-1358318157_thumb.jp

Jason, nice looking palm and so un-Heterospathe like. That silvery white color is really nice.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tons of controversy on this one Tim as it's supposedly the only one in the genus with a crown shaft. It rains VERY hard here and the white tomentum you mention stays on like glue (as JM mentions in his first set of videos with Dean). The botanic garden here is just teeming with different species that are roughly 30-40 years old so it is cool to see many of these species grown as second generation plants (The Dypsis Decipiens and Burretiokentia Veillieardi are huge and have seeded for years now).

This is a great genus. Tim that's a choice phillipsii. I have a couple of elatas that have been put in the ground last year and haven't stopped. The large copper colored new leaves are beautiful.

• Like 1

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Thanks Jason, I know there was a fair amount of interest about this palm and the crownshaft thing.

Peter, I think the H. philippsii moniker is suspect, so I'm not sure what the species is. Here is a shot of the

the crown with a bit of tomentum on the leaf sheaths.

Tim

post-1300-0-09074100-1358452713_thumb.jp

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Nice! It looks like it's doing alright. How cold would you say it gets, Alex?

This is how cold it was at the SRQ airport in January of 2010.

post-3501-0-95028400-1358489508_thumb.pn

I estimate that Selby's lows were 2-3 degrees higher than the airport, but the daytime highs were about the same. So there was still a 72 hour stretch of 45 and below and there were still wet nights in the low 30's and at least a couple below freezing. Overall the stretch of Jan-Mar of 2010 was the coldest three month stretch in the Sarasota history. January - 6 degrees below normal, February - 8, March - 6.

The following winter was also brutal in Dec of 2010. With temps dropping to 27 at SRQ so a good chance that this Heterospathe elata saw temps in high 20s. Dec 2010 was 11 degrees below normal.

My picture was taken in July of 2011 so it didn't really have that much time to recover. I don't remember seeing it with any noticeable damage at any point.

We haven't seen any sub-32 temps at the airport in over 2 years (since Dec 2010) and Selby probably hasn't dropped below 36 since then.

• 7 months later...

looks great andrew..

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Back comes the heat, sun and rain and out comes the longipes leaf. As with many of my rainforest palms, I find some tend to have periods of the year where they grow faster than others--this is a wet season lover and should start to speed up now.

post-5491-0-48604100-1429020678_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-47197800-1429020688_thumb.jp

Since Colpothrinax was mentioned above......Colpothrinax cookii is a cold hardy palm. Mine withstood 26F (under canopy perhaps 28-29F) during the very cold 2009-2010 winter wthout damage. I'll repeat, without damage. It's very slow growing and nearly impossible to find in cultivation. Mine was a gift from the late John Bishock and has been in the garden since 1999.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I really like this genus. I think it's a real winner for South Florida. First up is what I purchased as Heterospathe scitula. I love the color of the new leaf.

Very nice Andrew, you're in for a surprise, when I'm done adding another 8 new Geonoma, I've got 11 new Heterospathe species to enter, probably in a couple of weeks, keep an eye out, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Since Colpothrinax was mentioned above......Colpothrinax cookii is a cold hardy palm. Mine withstood 26F (under canopy perhaps 28-29F) during the very cold 2009-2010 winter wthout damage. I'll repeat, without damage. It's very slow growing and nearly impossible to find in cultivation. Mine was a gift from the late John Bishock and has been in the garden since 1999.

You are right about rare, but here is one-they like to grow sideways ;) sorry for hurting any necks...

post-5491-0-13687800-1429189801_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Since Alex posted that link to that scientific paper, I thought I might add some of the palms mentioned in that research; The first is what I bought as Heterospathe brassii, later to find out it's actually a Rhopaloblaste. The species is ledermanniana; it was a little cone when I planted it.

post-5491-0-41596900-1429892566_thumb.jp

This palm was also mentioned in that scientific paper that Alex is always great about producing--very knowledgeable guy... Once Heterospathe micrantha--it has now been put into its own genus named after the Godfather of palms himself; Dransfieldia micrantha. A slow palm indeed! and not as cold sensitive as was reputed when i pulled the trigger on this one...

post-5491-0-01788900-1429892778_thumb.jp