IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Livistona boninensis?

CoconutFreak

What are the differences between Livistona boninensis and Livistona chinensis?

Edited by CoconutFreak

CoconutFreak.

Northern Sydney, Central Coast Region. Zone 10a.

Temperature Extremes: -4 to +43

Warm Oceanic Temperate/Humid Subtropical Climate.

33 Degrees South.

Loving Palms!!!

Now you're asking the really hard questions. (Wait until you start asking for Pritchardia ID- you virtually have to know what mountain the seed came from with them.) L boninensis comes from Bonin Island and reportedly has a different shaped seed to chinensis. I think L chinensis comes from the Ryukyu Islands in a similar area to Bonin Island. I think some say that L boninensis is more cold tolerant than chinensis. I'm not sure if there is any noticable difference to the plant though, but maybe someone out there knows if there is.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Livistona boninensis

* a single peduncular bracht

* Fruit bright green at maturity

* degree of tomentum carried on the inflorescence bracts is dense and persistent

Livistona chinenis

* lacking peduncular bracht

* Fruit blue-green to bright green, glossy, epicarp ceramic-like at maturity

* bracts are glabrous or only mildly tomentose becoming glabrous at maturity

I think they are close enough geographically that cold hardiness wouldn't be a deciding issue but you never know til you check.

No way to discern juveniles.

- dave

Dave, thanks for the distinction profile. Can you explain maybe with a photo what a "penducular bracht" is exactly? ( maybe the longer extended part that extends the inflorescen before it braches to multiple orders?)

I have definently noticed variation in hardiness of Livistona chinensis or what is being sold as that around here were we can get cold enough to weed out weak genetics. I only know of one seed producing specimen in the area and it definently has the blue seeds which were frozen off this year before they could fully ripen when the low was 14 degrees.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

no pic, will try to explain - the very 1st piece of the inflor. coming out of the stem is the prophyll I think, the pen. bracht emerges from this, there are no rachillae attached to it (sometimes them), the rachillae are what hold the flowers. So on chinensis you would see a prophyll immed. followed by rachillae brachts, on bon. palm you'd see a single pend. bracht w/ no rachillae, then rachillae brachts holding flowers. Hopefully this helps, not sure ...

- dave

• 4 years later...

Bump! Any picture of seeds from this palm? Where are our japanese fellows? I have a suspicion that bononesis is quite more tolerant than chinensis to cool and moist conditions.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...
  • Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Hi,

yep - I am on it...

Please check this:

Here are two of them (L. boninensis) today...

lb01.thumb.jpg.ab8d8ceac2768689fe2a0214021bc534.jpg

lb02.thumb.jpg.6ab08cc1474e079fc7dd2e01a1466764.jpg

Both are in deep shade - I like it when they develop those long petioles - and doing very well so far. I have got a few other ones but still potted (outside) - no problems with those

that I am aware of. 

Hardiness is very likely as @Collectorpalms has already stated but I think I am not going to face any serious trouble with them here on Okinawa.

Lars

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

That was my initial perception looking at pictures. Except Livistona chinensis grow on Chinese and Japanese Islands, and along the coast  with similar latitude. These grow on islands south of Japan. I wouldn’t be surprised if they weren’t as hardy but it appears few have tested them.