IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Heterospathe palms

Walter John

I did have a H.phillipensis some time ago, but lost her due to drought and inexperienced plant management. Today I acquired my first palms for 2009, Heterospathe minor and Heterospathe elata.

I would love to read your experience and thoughts on this genus. Pictures would be nice too. Do you own any and which ones ?

Looking down on mine which are still in pots, bottom of picture, H.minor on left, H.elata on right.

post-51-1230974041_thumb.jpg

I had to move old man croc

post-51-1230974127_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I have H. elata. I think I have 4 planted. None of them likes full sun while young. Well, partly my fault as they were grown in shade and I just plonked them in the full sun... so the first 2 went backwards for a year. They start to take off now though. The other 2, I planted in part sun and they are doing much better...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Whilst the weather is suited to planting tropical palms, I planted these today, let's go to the video.

It's amazing how quickly the croc adapts to his new surrounds.

post-51-1231042373_thumb.jpg

The elata on the left and the minor on the right

post-51-1231042415_thumb.jpg

post-51-1231042490_thumb.jpg

low ground photography

post-51-1231042538_thumb.jpg

And lastly looking down from the back deck again after the planting.

post-51-1231042613_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Heterospathe is a genus that I have not yet aquired for my collection ahh well one day.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Hi Wal

planted a Heterospathe elata some years ago, grown 30cm, maybe pushing the boundaries to much

regards

Colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Both of these do well in Brisbane with well grown ones at Mt Cootha BG.

I have H. elata at my place and is doing well. Has a reddish brown new leaf and is reasonably fast. Can have a little problem with dry cold wind but only at young stage. The tall one at Mt Cootha is flowering and seem healthy all year round. When it was first planted as a juvenile it produced small winter leaves in spring for the first year but then it took of like a rocket and has been hardy to cold, storm and drought.

So mate plant them with confidence in a little shade.

Palms are the king of trees

Brod

Brisbane, Australia

28 latitude, sub tropical

summer average 21c min - 29c max

winter average 10c min - 21c max

extremes at my place 5c - 42c

1100 average rainfall

I love this genus, however I am fantastically good at killing them. I have tried minor, scitula and negrosensis all with the same degree of complete ineptitude.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Heterospathe is also my favorite genus. My H. elata is probably the fastest growing palm in my house. Planted from 1ft tall in 2007, now it's more than 3 metre from the base to the top of the leaf.

This is H. sticula. Very difficult and slow growing.

post-72-1231073094_thumb.jpg

Chalermchart Soorangura

Bangkok, Thailand

http://picasaweb.google.com/csoorangura/My...key=u11QvNs-qbM

I have many species of Heterospathe. I will post some pictures later today....I planted many as seedlings and Heterospathe elata is now about 25 feet overall! I have two H. elata and a few others as well.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

My experience with hetero has me growing no more.

I would like to sell what I have though. Thats why I looked at this thread but then at the last second I saw Wal's name on thought oooopppppsss. But here I am so this is what I know.

The fact that they don't have a crownshaft realy takes away from the nice arrangment of their leaves. Not good for sales.

They (elata is most common here) grow real fast, although not at first, and get real tall. Too tall, bad for sales.

They are hard to transplant when young, say 15' Overall, because they have a "heel" and the root mass is one sided. Bad for sales.

Fruiting plants can drop thousands of small seeds. bad for sales.

Any questions Wal?

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

why me ? :rolleyes:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Maybe bad for sales, Ken.

Good for wind...therefore, good for me.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Ken, maybe you need to look on the bright side of life.

Many great looking palms have no crownsharf.

Most palms grow real tall, and quite a few of the crownshafted variety grow taller.

As for the mess of many thousands of seed, I quess its better than many thousands of large seed that can mess up things. At leased they wont kill you if they hit you like Coconuts, Borassus etc.

I transplanted my H Elata with no problems.

So I think an all round great palm for the sub tropical- tropical garden

Palms are the king of trees

Brod

Brisbane, Australia

28 latitude, sub tropical

summer average 21c min - 29c max

winter average 10c min - 21c max

extremes at my place 5c - 42c

1100 average rainfall

All you have to do Ken is whack a sign on your Heterospathes, "As recommended by Wal of Australia", then watch them go walking out the door. :D

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal,

Maybe you could let him list them on your retail web site "Wal's Palms in Pots"

You seem to have about a 50/50 following there! :lol:

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

I once had a H schitula. I kept it for many years in the hothouse, and it even went a couple of winters in the garden in a pot. Anyway it was so small and easy to forget that I didn't notice that the sprayers in my hothouse didn't get it too well and it just died from drought in the hothouse. :( It was suckering and pushed out pretty new red leaves. :(

One day I might try an elata or even deliculata which grows fine at Mt Cootha BG.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I understand that Heterspathe woodfordiana is one of the hardiest of the genus. It is suggested that it can even grow on the coast of southern California. This is one that I would like to grow this year! :lol: I assume they all like lots of water, part sun to shade and high humidity.

BobSDCA

San Diego

Sunset Zone 23, 10a

I understand that Heterspathe woodfordiana is one of the hardiest of the genus. It is suggested that it can even grow on the coast of southern California. This is one that I would like to grow this year! :lol: I assume they all like lots of water, part sun to shade and high humidity.

I didn't know that. I'll have to keep my eye out for one. I think my eye will be out for a long time though. :D

Have to grow it from seed.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

My biggest elata :D I have 2 others, a 1 gallon & another in ground w/no trunk yet, but 7 ft tall! I'm with Rick as to the wind resistance.

post-1035-1231172478_thumb.jpg

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Here's a 1gal showing the heel.

post-1035-1231192717_thumb.jpg

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish