Should I separate or wait for signs of aggression

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mandamota

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2015
Eugene, Oregon, USA
I'm a proud, and nervous, new tiger motaguense cichlid keeper. I have a well bonded breeding pair. Male 11" female 6"
Too many questions, so I'm asking for general advice, safety concerns, ant information. Thank you

2015-10-31_07.21.25.jpeg

Reactions: isde02 and dan518

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Its a slippery slope. I have a mated pair of dovii. 12 and. 8 ". Male recently started showing sign of aggression towards its female. I am nervous too and will separate female if it continues :eek:

Reactions: Mandamota

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
give her a hiding spot that he cannot fit in such as pvc pipe. As long as he is not constantly going for her it should be alright just have a divider to hand . Also a trick i picked up a while ago is they can breed through a divider as long as the water currant is right.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
As above,the incomplete divider with a hole just big enough for the female.
Lovely looking fish though.

Mandamota

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2015
Eugene, Oregon, USA
Thank you guys. I'm watching them closely and letting them spawn 1 more time then I will separate. I didn't get them to breed them, I want them to interact with me like my Zonatus, Bruce, did. She needs a break. Plus, there are not many people with breeding pairs and I'm afraid someone will end up mating siblings and adding a lot of these tiger's with problems to the cichlid world.
My other thought is to look for another breeding pair from a far away source. That way if people do want more than one, there is less a chance of inbreeding.

cich78

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
new york
Nice pair...I have dividers but instead since there is a size difference between my pair I use PVC with rocks positioned at the openings to leave only enough room for the female to enter....I put gravel over the PVC to camouflage it all...They dig it out but I pile it back on at water changes to give them something to do...Good luck with your pair Hope to see more of them...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store