My Thorichthys Aureus tank

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
Glad you’re ok.

Go heaterless. I don’t use one in my thorichthys tank, no issues. I worry more about the temp going up then down.
Thanks, I definitely will now. I’m just glad no harm came to my fish, and even more so my tank.

RyanM

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2016
Canton, OH
Not to hijack your thread Covetous Covetous but wanted to update my Aureus situation. Let me know if you want me to get my own room :-D

Went to the LFS where I bought by original five last Saturday and picked up tow more from the same batch since the aggression has picked up recently. Now have a total of seven.

Also picked up a new home for them off of CL. Finished painting the stand and leak tested it yesterday. Super excited about it!

Sneak peak from the back of my minivan on the way home:

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
Not to hijack your thread Covetous Covetous but wanted to update my Aureus situation. Let me know if you want me to get my own room :-D

Went to the LFS where I bought by original five last Saturday and picked up tow more from the same batch since the aggression has picked up recently. Now have a total of seven.

Also picked up a new home for them off of CL. Finished painting the stand and leak tested it yesterday. Super excited about it!

Sneak peak from the back of my minivan on the way home:

Very cool! Always exciting to set up a new scape.
Your lucky to find them at a LFS. Are you finding that yours are actually doing damage to each other? Or just chasing?

I actually couldn’t resist some additions of my own this weekend, although they haven’t arrived yet so no pictures to show. But COTA Added some F1 “Blue Creek, Belize” Aureum and the temptation to be able to watch in person the difference proved too great.

Reactions: Toiletcar

RyanM

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2016
Canton, OH
Very cool! Always exciting to set up a new scape.
Your lucky to find them at a LFS. Are you finding that yours are actually doing damage to each other? Or just chasing?

I actually couldn’t resist some additions of my own this weekend, although they haven’t arrived yet so no pictures to show. But COTA Added some F1 “Blue Creek, Belize” Aureum and the temptation to be able to watch in person the difference proved too great.
Just chasing at this point, but from everything I read more is better, so for $5/ea I couldn't resist. We do have several great stores in the Cleveland area (45-60 minutes from me).

Can't wait to see the new guys. How many of each group will you have once they arrive?

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
All together I’ll have 19 Aureus. I have 13 from wetspot, after I lost 2 when I first got them shipped in. And I told Dan at COtA to send me enough to cover his minimum. So that should be 6. I’ll be overstocked for abit, but I have a 72x24x32 in storage. And when we move into a house I’ll be setting it up

RyanM

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2016
Canton, OH
All together I’ll have 19 Aureus. I have 13 from wetspot, after I lost 2 when I first got them shipped in. And I told Dan at COtA to send me enough to cover his minimum. So that should be 6. I’ll be overstocked for abit, but I have a 72x24x32 in storage. And when we move into a house I’ll be setting it up
you current tank is a 120g...is that a 60x18?

My Aureus are currently in a standard 75g (48x18x21) and the new tank I picked up is a rimless 70ish gallon with strange dims (35x27x17). I also have a 125g with 7 similarly sized Meeki. Trying to decide if I should mix swordtails, Aureums and Meeki in the 125g, or just swords and Aureums in the new 70g.

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
you current tank is a 120g...is that a 60x18?

My Aureus are currently in a standard 75g (48x18x21) and the new tank I picked up is a rimless 70ish gallon with strange dims (35x27x17). I also have a 125g with 7 similarly sized Meeki. Trying to decide if I should mix swordtails, Aureums and Meeki in the 125g, or just swords and Aureums in the new 70g.
Yeah this tank is 60x18x26 and so far is perfect for 13 little Aureus, down the road when they start hitting 5 inches I’m sure they will start to look cramped. But I’ve had this larger tank in storage for awhile. We live in an apartment right now while we house hunt. And I barely dare to have this 120 in it. That’s why my 180 Oscar tank is at my dads for now. I can’t wait to have my own fish gallery at my house. Just gotta find the right one for the right price XD

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store