Krobia guianensis spawn

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Back in September 2011 I bought eight Krobia guianensis fry from an AquaBid user. They came to me at maybe 3/4" and grew up to about 2" within just a couple of months. Their growth slowed a bit but they're at 3 - 4" now. I came home a few weeks ago to find they were suddenly fighting and beating each other up. I divided them up into two groups of four fish each.

Today I came home to find a huge bunch of eggs on a flowerpot and a very testy female guianensis. She seems to be upset the the male isn't helping her out. She goes from beating him up, to beating up their tankmates.

I was a bit concerned that they were spawning at such a small size, but I went back to my original email from the seller and he said that his pair had started spawning at 3", so I guess they are early spawners. They may not be the most colorful cichlid, but they have that chunky acara shape that I love so much, and they're very feisty and personable for being so small still. I have a real soft spot for these guys.

[video=youtube;dQyVs54F6wo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQyVs54F6wo[/video]

jonclark96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2009
Frederick MD
Congrats on the spawn Ryan. I have a group of these guys growing out as well. Your description is pretty spot on - not the most colorful of species, but they have that great acara shape and attitude. Mine are just reaching the 3" mark now, so it won't be long until they start spawning.

Interesting that your female has the distinct black mark on the eye. Did this come out during breeding? None of mine display this mark so prominantly.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Thanks, guys.

Interesting that your female has the distinct black mark on the eye. Did this come out during breeding? None of mine display this mark so prominantly.
It's part of the breeding dress, along with the enhanced lateral spot and barring. They sort of have the same dark markings as keyhole cichlids, oddly enough.

That's great, Ryan! I think they are cool little cichlids. The pair doesn't seem to be that rough on the tankmates. What size tank are they in?
The other two guianensis females in the tank would disagree that the spawning female isn't that rough. ;) Right now I have groups of four in 55 gallons. This particular pair shares a tank with two more guianensis, an Acaronia nassa, and a small sveni pike. Once I get some fish moved around, the guianensis will all be going into a 150 together. I'll probably start selling them off as they pair up. I counted and I actually have 12 of them, but I'll probably only keep a pair.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Apparently they ate the wrigglers. I couldn't find them this morning, and the female was back to her normal coloration. She's still defending the pot pretty aggressively. Maybe they'll spawn again soon.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Maybe they hid the fry? If they are defending an area, there's a good chance.
Nope. I had a look around tonight and there are none to be found. Her tube is down again already, so maybe they're just preparing another spawn. I've had young cichlid pairs spawn once a week before, so it wouldn't surprise me to see eggs in a few days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store