Cichlasoma portalegrense

Mahlerfan

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2010
New York
This young pair of Ports decided that they were old enough to spawn. They are just about 4 inches long and still have at least a good two inches of length to grow before they are fully grown.

The pair

Male

Female

A few of the fry

Cichlasoma portalegrense is often confused with other members of the genus, in particular C. bimaculatum and C. dimerus. It can be distinguished from Cichlasoma bimaculatum by the heavy dark edging to the posterior of the head and body scales and by the 3 spines (as opposed to 4) in the anal fin. It actually more closely resembles C. dimerus but the most obvious differences between them are the larger and more spaced out dots in the upper lobe of the caudal fin, the shorter pectoral fins and the more rounded snout in adult specimens of Cichlasoma portalegrense. For comparison I provide a couple of photos of Cichlasoma bimaculatum and Cichlasoma dimerus for comparison.

Cichlasoma bimaculatum

Cichlasoma dimerus

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Coolbeans!!! Get those true ports spread around, they have been really hard to find in the last few years.

Mahlerfan

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2010
New York
Yes, I know, true Ports are really hard to find these days. It's a shame because they are really great Acaras. They display A lot of interesting behavior and are a very beautiful species. Most people (I think) confuse them with the Black Port - Cichlasoma bimaculatumin, which is a plain brown fish, although still interesting to keep.

I have a lot of fry from this pair so, as you say, hopefully I can get these spread out in the hobby. Here are a few more photos.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Very nice, congrats and good luck with the fry.

Fishymike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2009
Northampton, MA
Really beautiful. I like all the Acara type fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store