adonis pleco acanthicus adonis

Dgmannn412

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2016
I think I have an Adonis pleco. I don't know much aside from "there supposed to loose there spots when they mature"??? The specimen that i posses has no such dissapearing spots. All of the photos that look close to mine are not close at all. They have colored patches of skin. My fish has white spikes raised up off it's skin that appear to be permanent. If the info I was given was wrong or the sharp teeth things I see are just an illusion then what the hell do I have? I attached the best photo I could get. It is very illusive. I'm hoping it's clear enough I can get a positive ID. And then with the ID maybe even get some useful info on it. I have a 125 I want to put it in but I need to know if it will get big enough to compete for food or not.20170607_002812.jpg

Dis

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2010
Hamilton, ON
It's definitely an Adonis pleco. Very nice. What info are you looking for?

How big is it, we can't tell from the picture. And if you want to know if it will be able to compete for food you need to tell us what other fish you have in your 125.

Great looking fish

Dgmannn412

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2016
The adonis is roughly 6inch with about a 2 inch tip to its tail. The 125 currently holds 2 full size Oscars, 1 small female festea, a saddle bichir, a Raphael catfish, and a 16inch sailfin leopard pleco. The adonis will be taking the sailfins place. I have a pond that it will be moving to.

As far as info goes
Ph range
Temputure
Light
Any special diet? It has drift wood to chew and a constant layer of algae to mow. I feed masivore pellets to everyone else so I'm hoping it likes them too.
Max size range
Do the spines eventually recede into the skin?
Is it a rare find? Someone was fired for not charging me full price for it.
Is there aggression level any worse then other pleco
Is there anyone with a full grown specimen that would be willing to share a photo.

Dis

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2010
Hamilton, ON
Look up albino Adonis on this site from a member recumbent. He had some 20"

Fairly common if you are into plecos. He should be fine in the 125 for a few years.

Any pellets should be fine, similar aggression to other plecos. But with that said some have more personality and can be more outgoing than others

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store