Acanthicus Hystrix care tips and random facts

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
They might have better hearing then some other plecos

The authors also indicated that in taxa among the Hypoptopomatinae, the
large and well-perforated compound pterotic probably increases sound transmission to the inner ear. Based on this
information it is assumed that in Acanthicus, Megalancistrus and Panaque the perception of sound might be more
efficient than in other Loricariidae with the same proportion of swim bladder capsule and body size.

Redescription of Acanthicus hystrix... (PDF Download Available). Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/public...the_systematics_and_distribution_of_the_genus [accessed Apr 15 2018].

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
He does indeed eat mostly at night when the lights are completely out. Eating sinking pellets and also he's chewing on the driftwood, making relatively thin poops for his size.

He also - I swear I haven't had him long enough for it - but he's grown.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Another keeper of murder pleco:

My own Acanthicus hystrix shows the most premeditated aggression I have ever seen in a fish. Not being a good swimmer, he has little chance of catching anything in midwater, so lurks patiently until he spots a fish swimming between him and the glass. At this point he erects his long and unpleasant interopercular spines and with a well-timed rush impales his unfortunate victim against the glass. After he has sawed backwards and forwards a few times, he retreats to allow the luckless recipient to float to the top. He succeeded in performing this manoeuvre three times before his ‘benefit of the doubt’ was withdrawn, and now lives in solitary splendour.

Tropical Fish Finder.co.uk - The ultimate UK fish keeping resource for all types of tropical and marine fish, including fish books, articles, fish shops, fish clubs and more.
TROPICALFISHFINDER.CO.UK

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
This here indicates that Hystrix is the big one, and Adonis isn't. But they've been wrong before.

Acanthicus hystrix is distinguished from A. adonis (Fig. 5) by its dark brown to almost black color pattern, without spots or dots (vs. color pattern dark brown with white spots covering body and fins); presence of ochre to gray stripes in caudal fin (vs. stripes absent). It also can be differentiated by reaching up to 600.0 mm SL (vs. up to 134.5 mm SL), by the presence of vermicular blotches on abdomen (vs. abdominal blotches absent), and elongate first hypobranchial (vs. first hypobranchial short).
from Chamon2016_acanthicushystrix

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store