Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
popmama

New sans! sansevieria aethiopica

This beauty arrived today from one of my favorite ebay sellers. Such a big plant, such a great price!

sansevieria aethiopica GC 78-127 Grotberg Kaokoveld, S. Africa (big name)

Comments (14)

• 2 years ago

Something new to me. Looks pretty neat. Looked up on Google and said AKA Sans.Zeylanica Sensu Baker which was always mistaken as Sans. trifascata, knowing there is a big difference. Keep us updated.

popmama (Colorado, USDA z5) thanked Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
  • 2 years ago

I got it potted up yesterday.

It had to go in a deeper pot because of that root system it had. But I'm not complaining!

• 2 years ago

I have one very similar called Crocodile Rock, which is a hybrid from overseas. Given to me as a free gift with order. It was very tiny with 2 small leaves. It has about 4 now. Hope it looks more like yours. With all the overseas hybrids it is impossible to know what they are.

• 2 years ago

You'll have to post a pic for me of your Crocodile Rock. If nothing else, that's a great name!

I do love a "free gift with purchase"! That used to be more common but very few sellers do that now. I applaud those who do.

• 2 years ago

It came unknown and I sent this picture to them for ID. They told me Crocodile Rock. I am going to take new pictures of it when I bring them out for season. Maybe next week. Have to Google name to see bigger mature pictures.

popmama (Colorado, USDA z5) thanked Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
  • 2 years ago

Stush -- I had a Crocodile Rock myself for several years. (Unfortunately, it just "failed to thrive" and was done within a week. So sad!) . It looked more like popmama's photo than yours, and it had skinny-type leaves although it was smaller than his. I got it labeled as Crocodile Rock from a local seller. I figured out the story on this -- at least enough to satisfying my curiosity.

There is a commercial nursery north of me in Florida. The owner imports Sans from overseas and has shown Crocodile Rock on their website. You're right -- the varieties hybridized overseas are voluminous! (Nursery is called Paradise Found Nursery here in Florida, and its web site is easily found if anyone wants to look). But I didn't get it from there. I got it from someone who sells on Etsy and also sells to this "local seller" in my town. I think he buys from Paradise Found nursery as well and propagates -- which I love because it makes unusual varieties available to me, very close to home. No mail order -- I can actually go and see them and pick them out!

I LOVE the plant that popmama bought! I think that's gorgeous! Am envious!

popmama (Colorado, USDA z5) thanked robinswfl
  • 2 years ago

Yes I have purchased from Paradise Found thru Etsy. Young plants seldom look like the mature adults but looking up on line is what I'm going by. Traveling Roots is also sells on Etsy but mostly hi end Sans with hi end prices. I think I am done buying any more plants. (opps last time I said that I purchased a lot more). I have way too many and just too much to care for. Price of postage is going up and is getting too high even to give out.

• 2 years ago

"I am done..." famous last words that I have spoken aloud many, many times.

I am on the mailing list for Paradise Found and get notified of their VIP sales. Have never purchased from them. There is one specific seller on ebay from whom I have purchased two uncommon sans. He has a lot of eye candy!

• 2 years ago

I purchased all the 'Eye Candy' I could ever want. Got to call it quits. Really this time, or just maybe right after one more!!

• 2 years ago

Well, I can support that "I am done!" feeling. I am also happy to say that I have pretty much lived it out. Used to have over 100 potted succulents and many Sans. I am down now to between 65-70, and I would like to reduce that even more, maybe to 60-65. I have been pretty successful where I live in giving away a significant number, and that always feels good. Plus, I'm just getting too old and too arthritis to manage all of the work involved.

popmama -- I must ask, is that seller on eBay that you like so much "Greenplants?" He sure does have some great looking specimens! If it is: I purchased an unusual Sans from him years ago. It was labeled as a Lavranos 1970 and it was in excellent shape. Paradise Found had the same plant, but said it wasn't really a 1970, it was a different Lavranos. (I said, "Who cares -- I LOVE this plant!") It's one of those spikey Sans that grows from stolens in the air and can quickly become 2-3 wide and also causing bleeding fingers! Anyway, pleased to say I still have it -- AND I have propagated it twice into large plants that were given to new homes, and especially to people who never saw Sansevieria of that type before and were fascinated by it. It is epecially gratifying to hand someone a new type of plant they never knew about.

• 2 years ago

Robinswfl, yes it is none other than greenplants! I purchased dawei from him and this one. I often peruse his listings and try to convince myself I don't need others.

I don't have any that grow the stolens in the air. That will probably be my next purchase. One of those!

• 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Stolens in the Air is just what my Cleopatra did. Short so not so unmanageable.

Also on a S. trifasciata;

Starting to take the plants out so new pictures coming soon.

• 2 years ago

Looking forward to new pics, Stush! Please start a new thread when you are ready to share and we can all add to it!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County