Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ahelaumakani

Billbergia ID? Maroon with cream spots.

ahelaumakani
6 years ago

Got this plant a couple of months ago and it just bloomed for me. I found a picture of one just like it online but it’s identified as B. nutans. I’m not very familiar with broms but all the other pictures of that species that I’ve seen are solid green.

Comments (10)

• splinter1804
    6 years ago

Hi everyone.

ahelaumakani – You’re quite right; that plant definitely
    isn't Billbergia nutans; nutans is a species and is usually plain green.

Occasionally it can have very faint spotting but the genuine species is usually a plant
    with very thin grass like, plain green leaves as shown in the picture below.

Billbergia nutans

There is however a very good chance that your plant is a Billbergia
    nutans
    "hybrid" as the flowers look identical to the flowers of Billbergia nutans
    with the same light green petals and contrasting bright blue margins. The bracts on your plant are light scarlet however and the bracts on Bill. nutans are more of a lolly pink colour.

Billbergia nutans flowers

Yours is still a very attractive plant, but unfortunately I can't help you with a cultivar name as there are just so many spotted types around.

All the best, Nev.

ahelaumakani thanked splinter1804
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

Compare to Bilbergia saundersii.

ahelaumakani thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • splinter1804
    6 years ago

Hi everyone - The plant posted by ahelaumakani isn't Billbergia saundersii. either.

Check out the F.C.B.S. Photo Index at http://fcbs.org/pictures.htm  - there are several pictures of Billbergia saundersii there for comparison.

All the best, Nev.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

Your link doesn't work.

Here is Bilbergia saundersii. The amount of purple tint to the foliage is variable and increases with the amount of sunlight. Foliage will remain more green in much shade.

• splinter1804
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi everyone.

gardengal - I don't know why that link doesn't work, I've just re-posted it here again http://fcbs.org/pictures.htm and this one seems to work OK.

I don't have Bill. saundersii and all I have to compare with are the pictures on the F.C.B.S, site. I can only compare the plant posted by ahelaumakani with the Bill. nutans we have here in Australia where I Iive and the leaves apart from being the wrong colour are far too wide in my opinion.

All the best, Nev.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

Well, I grow B. nutans myself and the leaves on mine can be very wide (upto 2") so I'm not at all sure that is necessarily a qualifier one way or the other. The photos on the website you linked to are of extremely poor quality and detail so I think it would be very difficult to use those as any sort of identification confirmation. However, if you look at other online images, you will see (in addition to B. nutans with much wider leaves than your plant) various images of saundersii that look almost identical to the OP's photo.

I am not guaranteeing that it is......only that it bears a very strong resemblance. It is quite conceivable it is one of the umpteen hybrids available as well, But it is not B. nutans as that does not have any purple/maroon tint to the foliage and virtually no speckling.

• Embothrium
    6 years ago

The www.growerjim picture shows same flowers as on plant originally asked about on this thread. Also looks like one I have in my girlfriend's greenhouse 50 miles from here - don't remember what it was labeled as at time of purchase.

ahelaumakani thanked Embothrium
  • splinter1804
    6 years ago

Hi everyone - Just to set the record straight, my initial comments about Bill. nutans were based on a comparison with the Bill. nutans commonly grown for many years here in Australia. Until I checked the pictures on the F.C.B.S. site, I had no idea there were so many different other forms grown in the U.S.

I'm sorry for any confusion I may have caused, but I still think the plant pictured initially is a Bill. nutans hybrid.

All the best, Nev.

ahelaumakani thanked splinter1804
  • Bob (Seattle, Zone 8a)
    4 years ago

It may also be a nutans x saundersii cross called 'Hoelscheriana'. There are various other saundersii hybrids out there. I had a very similar (same?) plant and found this post because I'm trying to track it down again! I moved abroad for 15 years and actually took a start with me at one point; the original plant is long gone but many of my friends over there are growing it now. Unfortunately I can't bring it back to the US.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996