Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ewwmayo

Anacampseros Update!

ewwmayo
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

How are all your Anacampersos doing? Spring is here, mine are outside, and putting on some new growth. Post your progress photos and tips!

Anacampseros rufescens - This is just how mine grows! The shape has gotten wider but stayed pretty flat.

Anacampseros telephiastrum variegata - It's very hard to see the yellow on mine... it is more pinkish on the leaf edges than my rufescens (which is a more deep purple). How do you grow yours and keep the lighter colour?

Anacampseros retusa - Growing lots of new hairs! I think I give it a bit too much light.

I know many of you are growing these, let's see them!

Comments (13)

• Pagan
    6 years ago

I swear on Flobots I will take photos before the sun goes down!

• ewwmayo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

CCC - So small! Funny because I use cash so rarely it's been a while since I've seen a nickel.

Do you keep it outside? The weather is so hot this weekend! I'm thinking of getting more mesh for shade.

• CCC Z6
    6 years ago

:P I was actually looking around for coins since I usually use debit. Haha

its on a very sunny windowsill indoors for now. Most mine are still quite small worried about heat and burn.

Still early in the season. Extra mesh on hand could be a good idea ;)

• hablu
    6 years ago

First tiny buds here. It's to early here for flowers.

Nice plants!!

ewwmayo thanked hablu
  • Pagan
    6 years ago

Here we go.

The ever-present A. rufescens in full sun.

Anacampseros vanthielli

A. filamentosa ssp tomentosa

Anacampseros subnuda, the hairy one. It came in as miniscule seedlings stuck to the roots of the Adromischus umbraticola ssp. ramosus that I got from Arid Lands. Susan ID'ed it for me laterwhen they were big enough.

A. filamentosa ssp. namiquensis

• Laurent - French Riviera (zone 9a)
    6 years ago

My A. rufescens 'Sunrise' is beautiful now, I will take a photo ;)

ewwmayo thanked Laurent - French Riviera (zone 9a)
  • ewwmayo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Pagan - Did your rufescens pup around like that or did you split it? Filamentosa tomentosa is super cool. I thought it would be too hairy but it looks really nice.

Laurent - Can't wait to see it!

• Pagan
    6 years ago

It can grow tall when left alone, Kevin. Not etiolated but stacked. So I'd mow it down every two years and stick the tops back in the pot to root. The stump often grows three or more new rosettes so your best bet is to cut then close to the surface---about a centimeter---so they look compact when they grow back. I started with two small plants in one of those 2-inch plastic pots they sell at big box stores. The pot is now a third full. Photo tomorrow.

ewwmayo thanked Pagan
  • ewwmayo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

How do you cut it without damaging too many leaves? Or that's just part of it?

• Laurent - French Riviera (zone 9a)
    6 years ago

Here is mine. It was neon-pink but when the temperatures reached 35°c it has faded.

ewwmayo thanked Laurent - French Riviera (zone 9a)
  • Pagan
    6 years ago

Kevin, I defoliate the bottom of the stem after I cut it off and before sticking it back in the pot so I do lose a lot of leaves. I know you don't like that but I'm not that attached. I just can't have the thing flopping around from the weight. Alternatively, you could consider planting yours in a wider pot so it has space to flop around instead of hanging down the sides. I'm sure this particular species will stop growing taller at some point, I just haven't had the patience to let it. In habitat I bet they just ditch the older leaves and maintain growth at the terminal ends but in cultivation they get so spoiled there is no need to drop the leaves.

Remember this thread?

The pot today:

• ewwmayo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Laurent - What a great big and beautiful ''Sunrise'! Very nice form it has there.

Pagan - Ah yes! Good reference. I really like the wide pot look but have such limited space. Maybe I just need to start cutting. Hmm...