Eriosyce villosa?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Download

Eriosyce villosa?

Post by Download »

The name I wrote on the takeaway container faded.

I could make out the genus name definitely started with E and the species name looked like it started with V (or maybe W). It looked like it said villosa.

My thought is E villosa var. laniceps, which has curly spines like this
DaveW

Re: Eriosyce villosa?

Post by DaveW »

Not an Eriosyce, it looks like a Mammillaria? A bit like a long spined M. crinita? The flowers will prove it is not an Eriosyce since it is large enough to flower.
eulaspiegel

Post by eulaspiegel »

This looks very similar to my Stenocactus lloydii seedlings, so maybe the E stands for Echinofossulocactus?
Growing mostly under LED lights, in northern latitudes. Especially interested in stem succulents and caudiciforms. Dreaming of my first greenhouse.
Download

Post by Download »

DaveW wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:19 am Not an Eriosyce, it looks like a Mammillaria? A bit like a long spined M. crinita? The flowers will prove it is not an Eriosyce since it is large enough to flower.
That's a 66mm pot (2.5"?). Are you sure that's big enough to flower?
eulaspiegel wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:26 pm This looks very similar to my Stenocactus lloydii seedlings, so maybe the E stands for Echinofossulocactus?
So possibly labelled as Echinofossulocactus vaupelianus i.e. Stenocactus vaupelianus.

It does have the fine white spines I can see in the pictures. I don't see any photos with wavy central spines however.

I assume in Stenocereus seedlings, they start out tubercle-like and then develop ridges? A but like a smaller version of Ferocactus seedlings?
eulaspiegel

Post by eulaspiegel »

Download wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:39 pm
It does have the fine white spines I can see in the pictures. I don't see any photos with wavy central spines however.

I assume in Stenocereus seedlings, they start out tubercle-like and then develop ridges? A but like a smaller version of Ferocactus seedlings?
Yeah the spines seem too long for S. vaupelianus, I just thought the resemblance to my seedlings was uncanny. I have attached a photo so you see what I mean. S. lloydii is also supposed to have almost straight and flat spines when they mature, and my seedlings don't really look like that at all (yet?).
DSC_0100.JPG
DSC_0100.JPG (129.03 KiB) Viewed 1646 times
And yes, that seems to be the case for a lot of cacti with ribs, however yours looks like it should be big enough to start to form the ridges, so I really don't know what's going on here. I might also be completely off.
Growing mostly under LED lights, in northern latitudes. Especially interested in stem succulents and caudiciforms. Dreaming of my first greenhouse.
Download

Post by Download »

eulaspiegel wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:20 pm

Yeah the spines seem too long for S. vaupelianus, I just thought the resemblance to my seedlings was uncanny. I have attached a photo so you see what I mean. S. lloydii is also supposed to have almost straight and flat spines when they mature, and my seedlings don't really look like that at all (yet?).

DSC_0100.JPG

And yes, that seems to be the case for a lot of cacti with ribs, however yours looks like it should be big enough to start to form the ridges, so I really don't know what's going on here. I might also be completely off.
I guess I will be waiting until it gets bigger then.

I do hope it's S lloydii. It's a very cool looking cactus.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Not grown many Stenocactus from seed and that was decades ago, therefore cannot remember if they were tuberculate initially before forming narrow ribs. Anyway a bit more age on the plant will sort the matter out one way or another.
Download

Post by Download »

eulaspiegel wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:20 pm

DSC_0100.JPG

Seems you were on the money.

Cheers!
eulaspiegel

Post by eulaspiegel »

Download wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:02 am
Seems you were on the money.

Cheers!
Looks like the ribs are starting to form, great :D
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Yes, it certainly looks like a Stenocactus in that picture now.