Xylosma bahamensis care?

Yo Mango

Yamadori
Reaction score
I am a new owner of a Xylosma bahamensis. I heard from the nursery that this is a rare tree. With the intent to work it as a pre-bonsai, and start transplanting it, I began my research into it on the web thinking, as with most bonsai tree, that there would be a wealth of info out there. I was totally surprised, as I cannot find a single source of information. It seems as though there is zero information on this tree's preferences and care. I can hardly find anything on the web at all. It wasn't cheap, so not I am scrabbling to find information on the care of this tree in a pot. Watering preferences, fertilizing preferences, seasonal info, repotting procedure, shade/sun preference, etc. Does any know of this tree, and can anyone point me in the right direction?

I'm in S. Florida. Any info will help on caring for this tree.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since you are in South Florida you have already taken a step in the right direction. I killed mine by cutting the roots back too much. It was summer so timing was good.

Yo Mango

Yamadori
Reaction score
Since you are in South Florida you have already taken a step in the right direction. I killed mine by cutting the roots back too much. It was summer so timing was good.
So sorry to hear this :(
... but I’ll take away that I should not go aggressive on root trimming. Copy that. Any other tips about this tree? Is summer the best time to repot or spring? I’ll take any info, even if subtle. Thanks 🙏

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So sorry to hear this :(
... but I’ll take away that I should not go aggressive on root trimming. Copy that. Any other tips about this tree? Is summer the best time to repot or spring? I’ll take any info, even if subtle. Thanks 🙏
Your attitude is commendable my friend.
My bad experience was strictly my fault and not that of the plant. I treated it like a ficus, which it is not.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jesus Christ!

Have you checked that the attempted authors of the information didn't freaking die from puncture wounds?

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've never heard of them, and still have never seen one. Any photos?

Top Bottom