• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2015 UK Orchids (1 Viewer)

Hi Rich, these plants look very similar to one's I have seen in a local park here in Leicester. Please see the photo attached.

Cheers,
Dave.

Cheers Dave.

Yes, since posting that message and now I've been on the look out for them I've found quite a few examples posted online, and been sent others privately, so it seems they are quite widespread in small numbers.

Rich M

Hi all

For those of you on Twitter, I have set up an account to produce news and records for UK Orchids. With permission from those posters on here, I planned to nick some of that news from here!

follow the feed @ukorchids or search for ghostly vision to find it.

Feel free to post to the account to help sustain its usefulness.

Thanks

Thanks Sean, following you now on Twitter. I usually post on Twitter (not just orchids) but found I don't have the time recently to post photos on here as well what with resizing etc. It's usually gone midnight by the time I've sorted out the day's photos!
Some orchid photos posted yesterday from Sussex on Twitter at @Barbus59
Dave

Hello James, I am not sure where you will enter the Knolls however if you come down the steep slope from the old castle keep you will see an area about 15m in diameter which has been fenced off to prevent the sheep from grazing the area (off to your right on the slope). The musks are under chicken wire in here. If coming in the gate by the man orchids you need to walk past these (also enclosed and head west for about 100m to the bottom of the two slopes. The area is obvious.

I think there were a couple of frog's coming through last week on top of the opposite slope, again under small chicken wire enclosures next to the track. I say think as I am no expert.

Good luck.

Cheers for the advice, found them with no difficulty with your instructions. Most were in good flower last night - it was so warm that butterflies were flying after 9pm!

Might be a bit late in the year now, but does anyone know of a Bird's-nest Orchid in Bedfordshire/South-west Cambs? I have a feeling I might have to wait 'til next year now...

Bees and Frogs

great year for bees south Northants - hundreds on the roadside but went to my favourite frog site near Otmoor and all had black bits on flowers - looked like local drought - common spotted also very weedy so spent the afternoon chasing damsels and dragons instead!

hi all, being a newbie to orchids and doing some research and living in North Hampshire, there have over the years been reports of Lizard orchid being found here abouts could someone with more knowledge than I enlighten me as to the site or sites please Pm me if sensitive?
Kind regards mike

Bit of a broad question, but I'm driving up from Bedfordshire to East Yorkshire this weekend. Anyone know any sites along the way for Early Marsh Orchid, Marsh Fragrant Orchid, any species of Helleborine or any weird hybrids?

Cheers!

N.Wales Orchids

Been a while since i have had a chance to go orchid-hunting but last week i went around Anglesey and recorded A single Lesser Butterfly orchid at Fedw Fawr , amongst many Health and Common spotted , Fragrant and also Pyramidal orchids also recorded. Moving on to Cors Bodelio here many Early + Northern Marsh and at least 14 Fly orchids seen here .At a private site i also recored just a single Frog orchid in a vastly overgrown wildflower meadow .....

Excellent numbers of Bee and S.Marsh orchid recorded at Glan Conwy RSPB too .

Today i went to the Great Orme llandudno and after searching a site where i found DRH a year or two back i found 7 plants though time was tight so i was unable to search extensively .

Totternhoe musk

enter the Knolls....an area about 15m in diameter which has been fenced off to prevent the sheep from grazing the area (off to your right on the slope). The musks are under chicken wire in here.

Just to point out, most of the musks aren't under wire, and there's a lot that aren't marked in any way at all. There are good numbers at the bottom of slope that are only just inside the enclosure and that can easily be photographed from outside it..

Today i went to the Great Orme llandudno and after searching a site where i found DRH a year or two back i found 7 plants though time was tight so i was unable to search extensively .

Good to hear they are coming on. Does this count include any in the rocks above?

Steve

Just a quick request - could anyone who is planning on seeing, finds by accident or already has photographs of Lesser Twayblade, Small White orchid, Coralroot, Heath Fragrant orchid, Creeping Lady's-tresses and Bog orchid from this year please upload a few pics onto the Orchid Observers website (orchidobservers.org)? We've had very few of Lesser Twayblade and I suspect the same will be the case for the rest since they're restricted to fairly inaccessible regions with few recorders. We're relying more heavily on the dedicated efforts of people like you for these species. We've got plenty of Bee and Common Spotted orchid photographs as you can imagine but these will naturally be more difficult.
Thank you!

Mike

Last edited:
Just a quick request - could anyone who is planning on seeing, finds by accident or already has photographs of Lesser Twayblade, Small White orchid, Coralroot, Heath Fragrant orchid, Creeping Lady's-tresses and Bog orchid from this year please upload a few pics onto the Orchid Observers website (orchidobservers.org)? We've had very few of Lesser Twayblade and I suspect the same will be the case for the rest since they're restricted to fairly inaccessible regions with few recorders. We're relying more heavily on the dedicated efforts of people like you for these species. We've got plenty of Bee and Common Spotted orchid photographs as you can imagine but these will naturally be more difficult.
Thank you!

Mike

Heath Fragrant pic uploaded this afternoon, Mike. Hopefully some Bog in the next week.

Rog

I had only a brief time to search Steve so i only found the 7 plants , but i had a message on FB from a friend who has also found DRH on the Orme

I have considered treking down from the summit to the spot above the road to see what is up there. I have seen as many on the rock faces as lower down. Seems reasonable that those below originated from higher up. Its the trek back up to the summit that puts me off ;)

It's usually gone midnight by the time I've sorted out the day's photos!

Puts you about a month ahead of me... |:(| Three nice common spot x chalk fragrant hybrids at Aston Clinton, which thanks to Andy McVeigh i now know to be x Dactylodenia heinzeliana (not x Dactylodenia st-quintinii)

Attachments

• ND7_8322c.JPG
    ND7_8322c.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 67
  • ND7_8183c.JPG
    ND7_8183c.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 65
Puts you about a month ahead of me... |:(| Three nice common spot x chalk fragrant hybrids at Aston Clinton, which thanks to Andy McVeigh i now know to be x Dactylodenia heinzeliana (not x Dactylodenia st-quintinii)

So what's Dactylodenia st-quintinii to be used for then Ian?

I thought x Dactylodenia heinzeliana was the hybrid with Heath Spotted.

Can you expand a bit please.

Rich

The Bee Orchids at Burton Mere are very impressive. By far the tallest I have seen; this year at least. The tallest was probably about 46cm with 11 flowers. Its the begining of the end for them now, so if you are intending to visit then make it this weekend

Attachments

• beetall1.jpg
    beetall1.jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 60
Fragrant for ID thoughts

Anyone care to venture their thoughts on these Fragrants that grow in a local bog?

Most of the plants present look like the two photos on the leftt; quite a loose flower spike and the lip is not particularly wide with the central lobe being longest. The position of the sepals seems variable; although the photo shows them held horizontally, other plants had them deflexed. All seems to point more towards Common Fragrant.

Today I found a more robust specimen with a denser flower spike; the lip was also wider with bigger side lobes; two photos on the right, pointing more towards Marsh fragrant.

Conversely I can't imagine there is one Marsh Fragrant in amongst a whole colony of Commons.

Anyone else on here got Common Fragrants growing in a damp habitat?

Rich M

Attachments

• 059D.jpg
    059D.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 059E.jpg
    059E.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 059G.jpg
    059G.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 059F.jpg
    059F.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 44

Could you Please PM me some directions

Thanks

Mark

Anyone care to venture their thoughts on these Fragrants that grow in a local bog?

Most of the plants present look like the two photos on the leftt; quite a loose flower spike and the lip is not particularly wide with the central lobe being longest. The position of the sepals seems variable; although the photo shows them held horizontally, other plants had them deflexed. All seems to point more towards Common Fragrant.

Today I found a more robust specimen with a denser flower spike; the lip was also wider with bigger side lobes; two photos on the right, pointing more towards Marsh fragrant.

Conversely I can't imagine there is one Marsh Fragrant in amongst a whole colony of Commons.

Anyone else on here got Common Fragrants growing in a damp habitat?

Rich M

Very similar to a selection Fred sent me the other day. I thought maybe hybrids but almost impossible to tell without DNA sampling.

I guess if we were to be strict about the Gymnadenia habitats then they would have to be densiflora since conopsea is not a plant of bogs or marshes. What exactly would you describe the habitat as?

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back