Country
    Singapore

Chrom. Splendopleure Bamukong-Ombe River System 1999

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear all,
    Out of the 2 pairs of Chromaphyosemion Splendopleure "Bamukong-Ombe River System 1999" that was shipped in late last year, I now have a reversed trio, with the sole female looking somewhat battered (spousal abuse?)

She has since been separated to rest and recover in a hospital tank dosed lightly with Melafix. Here's some shots of the poor gal;

The two males, however, have matured very nicely;

All images clickable for larger resolution

There's lots of yellow in both males and I suspect that maybe this is what Serkan is raising. [BTW, it's never wise to tag a population code to a fish based on visual observation and comparing images. If the seller didn't say so, best and safest bet is to leave it as 'Aquarium Strain', which doesn't mean the fish is any less pretty]

Throughout the Monsoon season, I've only managed to raise ONE fry from them and I'm hoping that it'd grow up to be a female. Meanwhile, if anyone has suggestions how to speed up the healing process, please advise.

Like the 'Tiko Green', it's my second attempt with this population and in the worst case senario, I'll want to bring the fish in again.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Chrom. Splendopleure Bamukong-Ombe River System 1999

Dear folks,
    I've got good news and bad news....

First, the bad. The only juvenile I was raising went MIA and I found a crispie on the floor.

Second, one of males got battered so badly and was in advanced stage of fungal infection when I started treatment in a hospital tank. This male (featured in earlier post on the left, with longer dorsal fin) lost the battle yesterday while in isolation and that leaves me only one breeder pair... ouch!

I'm adament to get something going from them and since I'm usually game to try different methods, this pair is now in a experimental tank where it's possible to achieve, quite consistently 26~27ºC, despite the warm spells and without a chiller. Also, my only female Bamukong has fully recovered, now very plumb and well conditioned.

So out of the bad, there's gotta be some good news too.

Guess what? I found a bunch of eggs in the mops and more in a thick wad of java moss and also getting similar results from my new additions, two striatum Lambaréné pairs. Will these eggs be viable? Heck, I wouldn't know but these are in another incubation tank and will update results from my trial soon.

Meanwhile, here's the latest pic of the breeder male. Enjoy!
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It'll be a pity if this population was to die out. I don't see them much on Aquabid or elsewhere so here's a hope that the eggs will turn out fertile.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Wow! Man you have some amazing fish!

Good luck with the eggs.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    It'll be a pity if this population was to die out
    Jian Yang, I hope that will not be the case and am still confident that I will have a tankful of them, given the way things are slowly turning around.

I continue to learn something new every day and one day perhaps, we, the local killiekeepers, will be able to get a grip on these fishes' needs and be able to distribute them.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Given your success with the Ekondo Titi, I'd say its a matter of time before you manage to get the Bamukong breeding like crazy.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    AAaaaaarrrrggggghhhhh !!! I just lost my last Bamukong male. Anyone out there with a female of the same population? (heh, perhaps I shouldn't be advising someone with his Tiko female . No, Peter, get back to your books! LOL)

Jian Yang, if my female is the last of it's kind, please update the census as kaputz!

Maybe next year, maybe.
    Ronnie Lee