zebra oto - Otocinclus cocama

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Interesting. I have had three different species of otto, but did not have any idea what their identifications are.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Yea, planet Catfish has 20 species listed and two unnamed ones. I finally found identification of one, but the first one still stumps me.

This one was hard to photograph, but the color and pattern made me think of a Siamese Algae Eater. Tan on top with no spotting, thin dark midline all the way through the tail and tan fading to white under the belly.

This one was heavily spotted above the midline, and had a distinctive hexagon on the caudal peduncle.
Edit: Found the species. Otocinclus mariae. I rather liked it better than the more common vittatus.

Last edited:

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Kudos, Dennis.

I use Soilent green as well for my hillstreams and gobies. I've gotten the lineolatus to spawn several times.

Mark

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Uh maybe I should know this by context, but which lineolatus are you talking about?

Chaetodon lineolatus Lined butterflyfish
Opthalmolepis lineolatus Maori Wrasse
Scomberomorus lineolatus Streaked Seerfish
Fundulus lineolatus Lined Topminnow
Ancistrus lineolatus
Lutjanus lineolatus Bigeye snapper

There are at least one bug, snake, molusc, pathogen, Lizard all with species name lineolatus. Help a fellow out ;)

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Sewellia is what I am referring too, especially since he said hillstream loaches ;)
Yup! I have four generations of sewellia lineolatus in the 125g. Also two more hillstream species and several goby species. The gastromyzon scitulus and g. zebrinus are proving more difficult to breed.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store