japanese rush plant(Acorus pussilus)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishyMatty

FishKiller
Jan 30, 2007
Milford,CT
anyone know anything about this plant? almost everything on the web about this plant is in another language. But I was able to understand some of the words on a german website and I get the idea that maybe this plant or a sub-species of this plant are not aquatic and will not grow or live underwater. I couldn't figure out that part.

JapaneseRushWFPS_C193.jpg acorus_gramineus.jpg

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
Japanese Fan or Dwarf Green Acorus (Acorus pussilus)

seems to be a non aquatic plant.

Acorus gramineus
COMMON NAME: Japanese Rush Plant
SYN: None
FAMILY: Araceae
RANGE: Asia; bogs in Japan
AQUASCAPE: A. gramineus var. pussilus and A. gramineus var. variegatus is a dwarf form suitable for foreground planting. A. gramineus var. intermedius is a suitable background plant.
HEIGHT: A. gramineus var. pussilus/variegatus to 4" (10 cm),A. gramineus var. intermedius to 18" (45 cm).
AH: From 10" (25 cm)
LIGHT: low to bright
WATER: pH 6.0-7.0, 2-12 dH, 59-70°F (15-21°C)
SUBSTRATE: plain gravel
P: split the rhizome
REMARKS: Because this species is a bod plant, it should be grown totally or partially emersed.
DC: 8

fresh_newby

Resident Plant Freakshow
Mar 5, 2006
NYC
Matty, that plant will rot and ruin your water quality. I would remove it form your tank.

FishyMatty

FishKiller
Jan 30, 2007
Milford,CT
are you sure? I asked the nursery and they say they grow it submersed. This is a dwarf acorus, maybe a new strain that they got to grow underwater. It looks great and I hope it survives.

FishyMatty

FishKiller
Jan 30, 2007
Milford,CT
no need to be defensive. I just figured the nursery that grows them would know what they are talking about. I read on another forum someone said he has had ten or more Acorus in his tank for over two years and even grown it and shared the new plants with a friend who had equal success. I will just have to let time tell.

FishyMatty

FishKiller
Jan 30, 2007
Milford,CT
no I don't trust anything the people at the LFS say. I usually know more than they do.
I did not buy those plants at a LFS I ordered them from a nursery that specializes in aquatic plants. They don't order or buy plants from a wholesaler, they grow everything in house.
So if they say it can be a fully submerged and I read an account of someone keeping and growing this plant in an aquarium then I will try my best to do the same.

xcooperx

XCooperX
Nov 18, 2006
SOCAL
and trust everything the lfs says also.
lol, im working on an LFS, so not all LFS are like that.

the plant you have now is not an aquatic plant, but you can try it if you want but like fresh newby told you it will ruin you water once its rotten.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
lol, im working on an LFS, so not all LFS are like that.

the plant you have now is not an aquatic plant, but you can try it if you want but like fresh newby told you it will ruin you water once its rotten.
yes.... and there are clean petsmart stores also. its just most of them are bad.

still looking for some reason to head to your way and visit that store......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store