Bomarea season 2014

The plant forum
charlie

Bomarea season 2014

Post by charlie »

My edulis and the two species from last year that look very like forms of edulis are having a cracking season.

Hope we don't get too much in the way of wind!
ImageBomarea species by charliepridham, on Flickr

Although these un identified species are a lot like my edulis they are distinctly more orange and less pink
ImageBomarea species 002 by charliepridham, on Flickr

ImageBomarea species 003 by charliepridham, on Flickr

Different story with the caldassii sorts , they are still heading upwards on slender stems, I have managed to keep the slugs off them so I live in hope!
PeterS

Re: Bomarea season 2014

Post by PeterS »

Wow - very impressive.

And being in Yorkshire, I can't get over this habit you southerns have of growing plants outside. :roll:
LONGK

Post by LONGK »

I agree - very impressive!

I don't know much but I get the impression that B.edulis is variable from seed? Sues is a markedly different colour to mine, both from the same packet of seed at the same time.

PeterS - I've put mine in the ground and the difference is remarkable. Far stronger stems, far bigger clusters and way taller. Mine is growing into the Philedelphus and romping away.
PeterS

Post by PeterS »

I can't get over how healthy that greenery looks. I think I could enjoy just that aspect - with any flowers as a bonus. I think sometimes we underestimate greenery, after all its there all the time whilst the flowers aren't.

Brugmansia flowers are lovely - but the greenery is absolute rubbish - well mine is.

I do try and put things in 50 litre pots - that's about the limit of my lifting ability, but I agree its a long way different from being planted in the ground.
Chad

Post by Chad »

The first flowers of Fiesta have opened but are a bit hidden! They are in the centre of the picture. I'll try for a better picture when the head that is on the left opens.

Not pardina keeps going with a few flowers.

The small non-climbing Bomarea distichifolia is a curiosity. Still clearly a Bomarea but not very impressive. Each flower is only 4mm long! Note that the leaf twists through 180 degrees at the base.

Bomarea distichifolia

Next is a wonderful Crug plant. They sell it as Bomarea boliviensis which it clearly isn't. Note the leaf base doesn't twist at all, and the roots are not right. I think it is actually a good strain of the variable Alstroemeria isabellana, but whatever the name it is wonderful!

Alstroemeria isabellana leaves.

Alstroemeria isabellana flowers.

All of those are in the tunnel. Outside B.edulis is nearly there!

Chad.
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

This Wisley specimen is labelled Bomarea multiflora
ImageBomarea multiflora by atropica2012, on Flickr
LONGK

Post by LONGK »

I took the advice and put B.edulis in the ground. A much better plant...................

I have it growing into the Philadelphus and for once it worked out - as the Phiadelphus finished the Bomarea takes over..................
Chad

Post by Chad »

B.edulis outside now open.

Bomarea caldasii? A new purchase today from Burncoose.

Whilst in the same family, does anyone know if double Alstroemeria are common? This has arisen in a clump of 'normal' ones, but it is the fourth stem to do it.

Chad.
charlie

Post by charlie »

Can I form an orderly queue for B. caldassii seed? mine is still grow upwards still no sign of flower buds. Whats frustrating is I can't see us having another season as good as this in my lifetime!! so if it doesn't perform this year I shall have to try a spring cover and see if I can't get it to come up even earlier
Chad

Post by Chad »

charlie wrote:Can I form an orderly queue for B. caldassii seed?
Well;

Bomarea caldassii is an invalid name anyway. I think plants under that name should be B.multiflora.

That said, the new plant from Burncoose doesn't look like a multiflora type to me.

Do you think it could be a pale B.edulis?

Or just atypical as it struggles with a small pot?

It will flower next year in a 20L pot and then we'll know.

So far I'm most impressed with 'Fiesta', and I should have seed of that and 'not pardina' soon.

Whilst putting things to one side for you Charlie, I'm about to repot Tropaeolum tricolor and T.pentaphylum. Are the spare tubers of any interest?

Chad.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic