The Bomarea pardina saga

The plant forum
charlie

The Bomarea pardina saga

Post by charlie »

I was asked back in 2009 by a friend in California if I knew of a source for this rather spectacular climber, I didn't but Chad supplied a link to a picture http://www.flickr.com/photos/benrose/341676767/
Imagebomarea pardina by charliepridham, on Flickr
and suddenly we all wanted one! Then it was noted that the Orchid people at Ecuagenera had it on their lists, Chad said he was going up to London for the Orchid show so I contacted them to see if they could bring plants. The answer was yes and when the 3 plants arrived down in Cornwall we were all pleasantly surprised at how much we had got. Then of course they behaved like any Bomarea that you muck about with and all the stems died.

Progress reports were exchanged, 1 new shoot, 2 new shoots, back to 1 :) whose was doing best! meanwhile I had heard from California in 2010 that the plant he had managed to get from the same company had flowered, it wasn't B pardina :o :( Chad confirmed that our plants had hairy leaves not smooth as they should have been, but it wasn't until this year that my plant has finally decided to flower and sadly as you can see its not pardina
004 by charliepridham, on Flickr
Perhaps if I plant it out the flowers may be a little larger but its not very exciting at present

Do any other members have plant disappointments?
AndyC

Re: The Bomarea pardina saga

Post by AndyC »

It is too early to say if the Bomarea caldasii I had from Roseland House Nursery a year or two back is going to be a disappointment. It grew well over a south facing arch last summer but didn't flower but then we didn't really have a summer. It is shooting from the ground again now so hopefully with a warm summer it might do the business else I'll be asking for my money back :lol:
LONGK

Post by LONGK »

That's a downer! I'm happy with my seed grown B.hirtella, and looking forward to B.salsilla, but that is stunning!

I ordered Fritillaria davisii and got F.elwesii, which was disappointing but not (as F.elwesii was on the want list anyway). Just means that F.davisii is still on the want list.
charlie

Post by charlie »

AndyC wrote:It is too early to say if the Bomarea caldasii I had from Roseland House Nursery a year or two back is going to be a disappointment. It grew well over a south facing arch last summer but didn't flower but then we didn't really have a summer. It is shooting from the ground again now so hopefully with a warm summer it might do the business else I'll be asking for my money back :lol:
:D Well at least its still alive!
Mine had started into growth back in January but between the weather and a few early slugs it had to start again in late April, not sure it will flower with the late start, I may try a bell cloche next year if it doesn't, in the mean time I have some species Bomarea to plant out from seed sent to me last year by a collector, probably be orange flowered, most seem to be!

Any one getting on with B salsilla? mine grew and flowered but seemed to be late up and early to bed spending very little time above ground, I rather lost interest in it and it has disappeared. I am tempted to try again and see if I can do some crosses if anyone has surplus seed to spare?
conrad

Post by conrad »

charlie wrote: Any one getting on with B salsilla? mine grew and flowered but seemed to be late up and early to bed spending very little time above ground, I rather lost interest in it and it has disappeared. I am tempted to try again and see if I can do some crosses if anyone has surplus seed to spare?
I'm currently trying to sprout some seed at the minute, but there's no sign of any movement from them as yet. Assuming that they do germinate at some point and if you haven't tracked down some I'll happily send you a seedling or two Charlie.
LONGK

Post by LONGK »

charlie wrote:
Any one getting on with B salsilla? mine grew and flowered but seemed to be late up and early to bed spending very little time above ground, I rather lost interest in it and it has disappeared. I am tempted to try again and see if I can do some crosses if anyone has surplus seed to spare?
I found it slower to germinate than B.hirtella, with (up to now - 6months almost) a lower success rate. But as I'm led to believe that the seed needs to be as fresh as possible it may be just down to the seed and not a trait. Growth seems slower than I recall for B.hirtella (my only point of reference) too.

If I have any more germinate you'll be welcome.
charlie

Post by charlie »

Thanks for the offers guys, I will keep my fingers crossed!
LONGK

Post by LONGK »

I've just noticed a second shoot emerging from the first germinator - doing this much earlier than B.hirtella did. Is this normal, or is it distressed?
charlie

Post by charlie »

Thought I would just bump this to show my Not Bomarea pardina coming back from below ground after its first winter outside, I honestly hadn't thought it would, still no idea what species it is. Any ideas Chad, John? I only had the one flower!
Image006 by charliepridham, on Flickr
Chad

Post by Chad »

In the poly tunnel it didn't die back this winter and has flowered all spring!

It isn't showing any new growth form the base yet though.

Chad.

ps.
Charlie,

Have any of your American contacts got hold of the real thing? Or any of the other 'different' species [longipes, superba, uncifolia etc]?

I have 'Fiesta' now in first flower from seed and costaricensis in growth from Cally Gardens.

I also have seeded pots with exciting name labels and no growth of some others!

Chad.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic