A Contradens sexing please

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
I always thought my contradens was a male because it caves (its too big to hide anywhere else) and it has hairs on its pec fins but looking at these latest photos, now I am not so sure. Could I have a butch female?

The adipose fin looks quite rounded and the size of the girth would indicate female as well.

dconnors

Aug 9, 2009
Michigan, USA
Definate male. I have a group of 8 and that is exactly what my dominant male looks like. I don't know why but they become an absolute tank! And yes all my males are fat, witht the 2 hairiest ones beieg the fatest.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
so hairy must be male. but wow a bit fat! I had a lep frog get a bit like that, I took him off algae wafers for a while and fed shelled peas, to reduce bloat, he looks better now, so just an idea. what is he fed on?

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Thanks guys. Yes I might have to quaranteen him away from the little L201 family he lives with and put him on a diet. Pity you can't get a treadmill wheel like you can with mice for exercise with fish.
Here are a couple of shots in the tank to give you an idea of his size and girth.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Well a year older (13cm) and he hasn't slimmed down one iota lol. He has spikey bits on his spikey bits now. I wish there was a female in Australia for him. A bit of breeding might slim him down.
If any of the photos are any good you may use them in the profile pics.

Jacqueline

Jan 19, 2011
Holland
Wow, that is one fat fish you've got there :wacko:

I have one zebra male which has some serious overweight but notting compared to yours.

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
:lol: glad I'm not the only one with a fat fish, I have a 260 male that looks like that :whistle: hope you find him a female and work some pounds off him :thumbup: