• ***************************************************************************************
    Having nothing to do with our traffic, our datacenter provider, Quadranet, has had a good chunk of their network blacklisted. This resulted in an inability to send email (at least to Microsoft and Comcast addresses) from 9 am Sunday until about 3pm on Monday. We are scheduled to our own IPv4 address space, but not until April 2025. If you have a /24 block you woudl be interested in loaning or renting to us in the meantime, please let us know.
    ***************************************************************************************

Alt-History Yars' Revenge

mcdermd

Reaction score
I was having some conversation about how Yars' Revenge always felt like a port of an arcade game that didn't exist.

I've seen one great looking Yars' Revenge custom cabinet art design that Darrell Donner and Rich Lint made. Pretty legit idea of what Atari might have made.

M8BFZyT.jpg

So what would a period-correct arcade version of the actual game look like? With higher res graphics? Would the controls be the same? Would there be any features of the arcade version that were not included in the home console port?

Atari logo sticks were not used during that period (81/82). Red Wico stick like Dig Dug would be more fitting.

Brian

So what would a period-correct arcade version of the actual game look like? With higher res graphics? Would the controls be the same? Would there be any features of the arcade version that were not included in the home console port?
38185402.jpg

Come on, that's like saying Dig Dug and Mr. Do! are the same.
No, Dig Dug is boring and Mr. Do! is excellent. :D

Courtesy of Atari Compendium:

Howard Scott Warshaw: We used a VAX system to compile/assemble, and then downloaded the code to an emulator box for execution, patching, and debugging. I was given the system's manual and, after learning it, was assigned to do my first game – a version of Cinematronic's Star Castle. I soon realized that a decent version couldn't be done, so I took what I thought were the top logical and geometric components of Star Castle and reorganized them in a way that would better suit the machine. This eventually became Yars' Revenge.

I would say that a Yars Revenge upright would have used a cab like Asteroids Deluxe or Warlords, with a black light reactive outer space scene, and a half silvered mirror.

Maybe a Tempest style spinner and a "forward" button in addition to "fire"?

Kyle :cool:

Spinner would be an excellent control scheme.

Back