Laetacara dorsigera or curviceps?

Christhefishman

Hey guys

So I picked up some Laetacara curviceps recently (or at least that’s what they were sold as) but as they’ve settled in and colors and patterns have shown, I’m now questioning if they actually are curviceps.. after researching around I have a feeling they may be the very similar Laetacara dorsigera, especially since I’ve heard that dorsigera are often mistakenly sold as curviceps. This is my first time with dwarf acaras and I totally love them! Whether they are curviceps or dorsigera doesn’t matter since I love both but I am very curious to know exactly which I have! If anyone has experience with these guys please let me know what you think, and some tell tale signs to distinguish the two species. Thanks! 

6121BC12-B750-4E6D-8CDA-E56A6DF6731D.jpeg

23CE811D-664C-4389-B4C5-21E986AB7D44.jpeg

EC7E2BB3-1171-4F14-99AF-E7D1E8A2EDE7.jpeg

• Love 5

On 8/19/2022 at 8:10 PM, SimmonsSnailsNScales said:

I don't know anything about them, but I wanted to let you know that you have some gorgeous fish!

Thank you!! I’m absolutely loving these guys they show such nice colors while still showing cool cichlid behaviors but in a small size and without all the aggression. Laetacara is an awesome genus I wish I had kept them sooner! 

Beautiful fish. Just beautiful. I still miss our Laetacara araguaiae.

For comparison purposes, here are three photos in different lighting from other aquarists of L. dorsigera:

1784540352_ScreenShot2022-08-20at6_05_07AM.png.62c8fb98539726eafabe86a3d9257d95.png

Now, here are three comparable photos of L. curviceps:

677692277_ScreenShot2022-08-20at6_07_10AM.png.cba8f6b01772ca350c6b144cb81ff384.png

For me, the key is that black spot on the dorsal fin for L. dorsigera.

Now, you can find excellent photos online from Aquarium Glaser. Check here for a list of all Laetacara. Here a few samples for you to compare...

627019350_ScreenShot2022-08-20at6_20_12AM.png.4f899709d4384b2e777f41937373f12e.png

I think you'll find helpful, definitive ID info here . . . but you might need to review your photos with a fine-toothed-comb.

RE: L. dorsigera ID, the pertinent quote reads:

Dorsal spines (total): 14; Dorsal soft rays (total): 9-10; Anal spines: 3; Anal soft rays: 8 - 9; Vertebrae: 24. Distinguished from all other species of the genus by the following combination of characters: scales on the longitudinal series 21-22; a dark spot on dorsal fin above trunk bar 5, and usually above trunk bar 4; head depth 90.2-96.3 % mm HL; cycloid scales on head sides; dorsal-fin rays 9-10; anal-fin rays 8-9; total vertebrae 24; scales on the upper lateral line 14-15; scales on the lower lateral line 6-8; absence of a dark dot at the edge of each scale on the midlateral portion of the flank; and a wide ectopterygoid (Ref. 80972).

Maybe even better, you can find great distinction ID factors listed here. The pertinent quote reads:

The genus Laetacara currently contains seven valid species and L. curviceps can be told apart from all congeners except L. thayeri and L. flamannellus, by having fewer scales in the longitudinal series (21–22 in L. dorsigera vs. 24 in L. flavilabris, 22–24 in L. curviceps and 23–25 in L. fulvipinnisL. minutacara and L. araguaiae).

In addition it can be distinguished from congeners except L. curviceps and L. flamannellus by having a dark spot on the middle of the dorsal-fin.

Laetacara dorsigera is distinguished from L. araguaiae and L. curviceps by having higher head depth (head depth 90.2–96.3 % mm HL in L. dorsigera vs. 84.6–88.9 % mm HL in L. curviceps and 80.0–87.1 % mm HL in L. araguaiae), from L. thayeri by having cycloid scales on the sides of the head (vs. ctenoid scales) and more anal-fin rays (8–9 vs. 7–8), from L. flavilabris by possessing fewer total vertebrae (24 vs. 26) and fewer scales in the upper lateral line (14–15 vs. 15–18), from L. fulvipinnis by having fewer scales in the upper lateral line (14–15 vs. 15–17), fewer scales on the lower lateral line (6–8 vs. 8–9) and absence of a dark dot at the edge of each scale on the midlateral portion of the flank (vs. presence), from L. curviceps by having a wide ectopterygoid (vs. a narrow ectopterygoid), more dorsal-fin rays (9–10 vs. 8–9) and breeding males and females with conspicuous red cheeks, opercula and belly (vs.no such colour pattern), and from L. flamannellus by absence (vs. presence) of an orange-coloured ring around the dorsal-fin spot.

To your question . . . I'm still lost down the NERM-hole on this one . . . 🤣

IF you forced me to guess, I'd still say they're probably L. curviceps.

For me, the reasons are (1) lack of halo around prominent dorsal dot (2) yours have black "lip-lining" which makes them look like they're smiling

I'll share this link as well for some stunning L. dorsigera photos as well as an interesting discussion thread.

At any rate, you've got the most gorgeous specimens ever there!

Edited by Fish Folk

On 8/20/2022 at 6:29 AM, Fish Folk said:

To your question . . . I'm still lost down the NERM-hole on this one . . . 🤣

IF you forced me to guess, I'd still say they're probably L. curviceps.

For me, the reasons are (1) lack of halo around prominent dorsal dot (2) yours have black "lip-lining" which makes them look like they're smiling

I'll share this link as well for some stunning L. dorsigera photos as well as an interesting discussion thread.

At any rate, you've got the most gorgeous specimens ever there!

Thank you so much for all this info!! This is exactly what I was hoping for now I can go through all of these and closely compare so much appreciated! I’m so happy I chose to go with dwarf acaras I’ve been so happy with their colors and attitude and there’s quite a few more species in the Laetacara genus than I realized! I’m inclined to agree with you that after going through these photos they do look very much like curviceps but their colors and patterns seem to develop more by the day it’s incredible so time will tell and I’ll have to go through these more closely but thank you so much this was extremely helpful

• Like 1