Fissiden fontanus question

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
Hi

First time Fissiden grower. In a 29g grow out tank, I have Fissiden fontanus on driftwood and Eleocharis belem w/Amazonia in a basin. I'm seeing small pieces of the Fissiden break off and attach itself to the hairgrass. It is a bugger to pick out. Is this normal for Fissiden to do this? This tank has pressurized CO2, 65w 6700K PC and EI dosing.

Thanks,
Left C

fjf888

Guru Class Expert
Oct 29, 2007
Northern Virginia
My experience is limited but I have found it starting to grow inside my weir and in other random places. I initially tied it to some of wood in the tank. I would have to say yes based on my limited experience in a tank with reasonable light and CO2.

I also have it in might low tech no CO2 tank, where it does not spread so much (not surprisingly) and remains healthy.

Left C;70547 said:
Hi

First time Fissiden grower. In a 29g grow out tank, I have Fissiden fontanus on driftwood and Eleocharis belem w/Amazonia in a basin. I'm seeing small pieces of the Fissiden break off and attach itself to the hairgrass. It is a bugger to pick out. Is this normal for Fissiden to do this? This tank has pressurized CO2, 65w 6700K PC and EI dosing.

Thanks,
Left C

ShadowMac

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 25, 2010
Grand Forks, ND
LeftC,

You will find it everywhere. I have had it for a long time, or will have it for a long time. It attached to some seiryu stones. I removed them before rescaping, they had completely dried out, and when I returned them to the tank the fissidens grew back. It is not a fast grower, so picking it out is not difficult and it won't go "rampant". Regular trimmings helped keep too many bunches breaking off, but it cannot be helped.

In the new scape I find some small bits attached to granules of aquasoil. It anchors itself well.

feh

Guru Class Expert
Jan 14, 2011
South Carolina
I've had no issues with finding my fissidens breaking off and finding it anywhere. It has stayed attached to the screen it was attached to that it was on when I purchased it. I've had it in a tank with and without CO2. Either way its a slow grower... but I've not had any issues with it other than I felt it wasn't getting enough light in the tank with Co2 because it was shadowed by the swords. I was hoping to grow it out faster in the tank with CO2 but it didn't seem to make much difference from my experience.

ShadowMac

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 25, 2010
Grand Forks, ND
mine didn't break away from where it was attached, more like it out grew itself and sometimes new growth would break away from old. Did not really happen in the low tech tank as it grew slower. It rooted very well to wherever I attached it.

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
Mine is like ShadowMac's where the new growth breaks away from the old and attaches itself. There are no fish in this tank; just the two plant species. I've been running the CO2 24/7 with a lime-green 4dKH drop checker. I'll put it on a timer in a bit.

I'm using an ECCO 2236 filter, Hydor 200w inline heater and an AM1000 reactor, plus an Eheim Liberty 200 HOB filter for surface movement. The Coralife Aqualight PC has a new 65w 6700K bulb. With EI dosing, CO2 and moderate lighting, the plants are growing very well.

Maybe I'll pick up some Nerite snails and tie some mustache combs on them with a short leader so that they can drag them around. Maybe they can help keep the Fissiden combed out of the hairgrass. :)

ShadowMac

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 25, 2010
Grand Forks, ND
brilliant!

Lord Helmet: "Comb the desert!"

"What have you found" to partol literally combing the desert.

Patrol: "We ain't found $%*@"

Tom mentioned a similar thing in the 60 gal cube he had with fissidens.

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
Chee Pang had a thread showing his aquarium a few years ago. The thread was called: "Scaping with Fissidens" that showed various pictures of his simple and beautiful aquarium with Fissiden, Java fern and hairgrass. I've wanted to do something with Fissiden ever since. There are just a few pictures remaining in his thread. Most have been deleted from PhotoBucket. Below are a few that remain.

I read that same thing that you mention in Tom's 60 cube thread. This was the first time that I read about Fissiden doing that. I was hoping that it would not do it to me, but it has. I already had the Fissiden and the haigrass. I know that there are many species of Fissiden; some are aquatic and some aren't. I didn't know what species that Tom or Chee Pang used, but both aquariums sure looked nice!!!

That "Spaceballs" quote is funny! Aren't Nerite snails all female? Maybe I could pick up some pink cord to use for their leaders to the mustache combs. I have some 'super glue' so that I can attach the cord.

Fissidens_10.jpg

Fissidens_11.jpg

Tank_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Happy Moss!

Hi Left C,

You got happy moss...
:D:gw

Nice tank, the CO2 running 24/7 isn't really doing any harm, just not doing any good at night.
:rolleyes:

Nerite snails are male and female, just unlike many common snails they are not hermaphrodites and must have at least one male present to reproduce.:rolleyes: The are also salt water critters who adapt to freshwater and while they can breed in freshwater, like brackish or marine conditions for breeding, I think that is why some folks think they are all female.:confused:

Landlord relent when you told him an evil plant monster with anger management issues might visit?
:eek:

Biollante

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
Biollante;70592 said:
Hi Left C,

You got happy moss...
:D:gw

Nice tank, the CO2 running 24/7 isn't really doing any harm, just not doing any good at night.
:rolleyes:

Nerite snails are male and female, just unlike many common snails they are not hermaphrodites and must have at least one male present to reproduce.:rolleyes: The are also salt water critters who adapt to freshwater and while they can breed in freshwater, like brackish or marine conditions for breeding, I think that is why some folks think they are all female.:confused:

Landlord relent when you told him an evil plant monster with anger management issues might visit?
:eek:

Biollante
Hi Biollante. Thanks you for helping me. I think that the landlord is cool if you visit.

I put the lights and CO2 on timers yesterday. The CO2 comes on 3 hours before the lights turn on and it turns off 2 hours before the lights turn off. The lights are on for 12 hours. This is just a grow out tank and everything will be moved to my 37g when established. I'm not seeing any algae at all. If I do, I'll back off on the amount of time that the lights and CO2 are on.

Thank you for telling me about the Nerite snails. I'll pick up some blue cord along with pink so they can drag the mustache combs around. I'm sure that I will get the sexes mixed up and some will have the wrong color of cord. I don't think that they will mind if they have the wrong color of cord though. They might mind the mustache combs a bit. If they do, I'll call them Mule Snails.

ShadowMac

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 25, 2010
Grand Forks, ND
those pictures you posted are of Fissidens geppii. I have a portion of it in a tank and have struggled to get it really going. Probably lighting was too low (yes, I said too low) with the fixture some 14" above the tank. Substrate level plants were struggling to get any growth. It is a really nice moss. Expensive where I found it at Aquaforest aquarium.

I had a good amount of fissidens fontanus in my 37 for a while and that is the moss I was referring to in earlier posts. AFA sells fissidens nobilis, but what i received from them a year ago was fontanus. nobilis is much smaller and looks like a very miniature version of the geppii.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
He Was Always Slow, Really Slow... Put The “Special” In Special Ed.

Hi Shawn,

You have plenty of light Fissidens geppii is simply a slow grower, real slow.
:rolleyes::gw

Biollante

ShadowMac

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 25, 2010
Grand Forks, ND
Don't put me on the short bus yet...

this wasn't in the 37, Biollante.

It is (will be a "was" because I want to move it to the 37) in a 29 gallon with a couple standard t5's hanging above it at 14". The 37 for sure has enough light for anything.

with the 29 i was guaging the light issue by how well some low light substrate level plants were doing. other mosses, C. parva. They were not doing so well. The mosses that were moved to another tank have since rebounded and look like they are supposed to look. They were stringy at best in the 29. I have changed how the light hangs and added a little LED bar to the back of it, this should compensate for the height issue I think.

The geppii is very neat looking. Its kind of like a mini fern.

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
Is it Fissidens or Fissiden?

herns sent me some Christmas moss and some Singapore moss. I really like the look of the Christmas moss. It sort of makes me want to change gears and use the Christmas moss instead of the Fissidens fontanus.

Is it spelled Fissidens or Fissiden? I've always written it as Fissidens with the "s" on the end instead of Fissiden. I read somewhere that it is spelled Fissiden and that Fissidens is incorrect. Which is the correct spelling?

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
I am planning on using one of Amano's designs as inspiration for my 37g aquarium. Pictures and information is found on pages 28 to 30 in the Volume 24, Number 1, Jan-Mar 2011 issue of "The Aquatic Gardener." I am planning on using less plants than what is used in Amano's. His has a "wild and ungroomed" look. I'm using Eleocharis belem for the foreground, either Fissidens fontanus or Christmas moss on the driftwood, Echinodorus angustifolius in the background and a green crypt as a divider. If I use Christmas moss on the driftwood, I can use the Fissidens fontanus on some rocks placed around the base of the driftwood. Here is a scan of the article called 'Learning Natural Expressions.' I'm using the aquarium design with the arch.

ARCH-1.jpg

AquariumPic2fromAGAJanMar2011.jpg

AGA4.jpg