Deficiency identification for Eichhornia diversifolia

rajkm

Article Editor
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Article Editor
Sep 16, 2015
Hillsboro, OR
Can someone help me identify what kind of deficiency is my E. Diversifolia showing.

The leaf has white edges where as rest of the tank is doing well.

21B0567B-31DF-4A31-9A7E-E1F2F321B896_zpsmtivzihx.jpg

Pikez

Rotala Killer!
May 12, 2013
Close (but not too close) to LA
I dont think it is a deficiency. This is a hungry plant that will show several other signs if there is a deficiency. Nothing else about the plant suggests deficiency. Eichhornia species are submerged are very 'expressive' with lots of signs and symptoms to little things. No one knows what the plants are trying to communicate.

I see this symptom in Persicaria species if I expose them to air for too long during water changes and let the leaf edges dry out.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
It's a weed, very fast grower, it'll turn black if you stress it, or hit it with Excel close by. Looks a little tinged. Fear not, that will recover at break neck speed.

Pikez

Rotala Killer!
May 12, 2013
Close (but not too close) to LA
I donated this plant to our local Nature Aquarium store about a year ago. They starve it IMO but still manage to keep it alive and sell the offshoots. And it has several black leaves. It is hard to kill if you have aquasoil, light, some CO2, and some fish poop. Might complain, but it is hard to kill. But if you give it exactly what it needs, it is as fast as Pantanal and will annoy you with how often it needs to be trimmed.

Classic nitrate hog like other Eichhornia species. Ideally suited for EI like Pantanal and other big Pogostemon.

rajkm

Article Editor
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Article Editor
Sep 16, 2015
Hillsboro, OR
Thanks.. the new leafs look better so I am assuming it was something it didn't like but recovering. When I was out for a week my tank hit iron deficiency so that could be one of the reasons.