Parancistrus nudiventris

boban_nz

What part of the fish do you think belongs to Oligancistrus and what part to Parancistrus?

All pictures are of the same fish, as there was just one fish in my photographic fish tank :)

Anyway I still have the fish in alcohol so I am able to inspect the fish again.

They are not the same fish by any means, oligancistrus L30 is characterized by its large eye's something very different to all Parancistrus not to mention P. Nudiventris. The gill openings on Parancistrus are massive best seen from the ventral side, oligancistrus quite standard. The width of the head is large and compressed like that of zonancistrus a rather flat fish as opposed to L30 with a steep forehead yet slim hypancistrus like build.

i find they don't swim well in alcohol

I found that too but it is a good way to have a lot of answers about the fish. As we may see here using a picture to identify a fish is not a good idea. Fish siting on a flat ground looking much different than fish sitting on a wave shaped wood.

They are not the same fish by any means, oligancistrus L30 is characterized by its large eye's something very different to all Parancistrus not to mention P. Nudiventris. The gill openings on Parancistrus are massive best seen from the ventral side, oligancistrus quite standard. The width of the head is large and compressed like that of zonancistrus a rather flat fish as opposed to L30 with a steep forehead yet slim hypancistrus like build.

Copy/Paste

Parancistrus can be characterized by the presence of a membranous connection between the dorsal and adipose fins, cephalic and body scutes not carinate and a large gill opening. Armbruster (1997) additionally diagnosed the genus based on posterior deflection of the hyomandibula and presence of fleshy folds along the dorsal-fin base of nuptial males. Parancistrus can be further distinguished from Ancistrus and Chaetostoma by having a plated snout and from all other genera of the Ancistrini (sensu Armbruster, 2004), except Baryancistrus, Oligancistrus, and Spectracanthicus, by the connection between dorsal and adipose fins; from Baryancistrus, Oligancistrus, and Spectracanthicus, by the large gill openings.

Here are a few pictures of preserved specimens.

IMG_1429.jpg

Gill openings large

IMG_1467.jpg

Gill openings restricted to compare with (Preserved Baryancistrus sp.)

IMG_1452.jpg

Steep forehead, flat forehead, snout etc, well mystery fish compare with Baryancistrus.

IMG_1471.jpg

IMG_1472.jpg

And on the end do not forget that it is just a young fish, far away from it's final shape and everything here is just a quick inspection.

Copy/Paste

Parancistrus can be characterized by the presence of a membranous connection between the dorsal and adipose fins, cephalic and body scutes not carinate and a large gill opening. Armbruster (1997) additionally diagnosed the genus based on posterior deflection of the hyomandibula and presence of fleshy folds along the dorsal-fin base of nuptial males. Parancistrus can be further distinguished from Ancistrus and Chaetostoma by having a plated snout and from all other genera of the Ancistrini (sensu Armbruster, 2004), except Baryancistrus, Oligancistrus, and Spectracanthicus, by the connection between dorsal and adipose fins; from Baryancistrus, Oligancistrus, and Spectracanthicus, by the large gill openings.

Exactley as i said :dunno:

And on the end do not forget that it is just a young fish, far away from it's final shape and everything here is just a quick inspection.

As i own both fish this is not a simple inspection, while parancistrus attains a length around 9-10 inch mark oligancistrus sp L30 only gets to 4-5" so an adult alot sooner thus the identification between the 2 fish even easier.

Parancistrus can be characterized by the presence of a membranous connection between the dorsal and adipose fins, cephalic and body scutes not carinate and a large gill opening. Armbruster (1997) additionally diagnosed the genus based on posterior deflection of the hyomandibula and presence of fleshy folds along the dorsal-fin base of nuptial males. Parancistrus can be further distinguished from Ancistrus and Chaetostoma by having a plated snout and from all other genera of the Ancistrini (sensu Armbruster, 2004), except Baryancistrus, Oligancistrus, and Spectracanthicus, by the connection between dorsal and adipose fins;from Baryancistrus, Oligancistrus,and Spectracanthicus, by the large gill openings.

Form me it was a simple inspection, large gill openings tell us something regardless of fish size.

Anyway fish is imported as Parancistrus.

• 2 weeks later...
Just one question...

Were your three original pics taken at the same time?

No they are not.

The first one (IMG_9237) was taken on 13.05, second one (IMG_9765) on 16.05 and last one (IMG_0327) on 24.05.2011.

The fish was in my photographic fish tank for almost two weeks and I took a lot of pictures of it. Unfortunately many of them turned out to be just rubbish :(