Scooter Blenny-Synchiropus stellatus

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by makeshiftcrew, Dec 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. makeshiftcrew

makeshiftcrew Gigas Clam

Well here's another write up on one of my other tank inhabitants. The Red Scooter Blenny(Synchiropus stellatus)
    [​IMG]

Care Level : Moderate

Behavior : Peaceful

Minimum Tank Size : 20 Gallon

Maximum Size : 2.5-3 inches

Reef Compatibility : Yes

Diet : Bottom feeder-Consits of algae, copepods, some live worms, and brine/mysis

Origin : Pacific Ocean

Water Conditions: Keep water quality high (72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025 ).

The Red Scooter Blenny is actually classed as a Dragonet, which also includes the ever popular Green and Spotted Mandarin Goby. The Red Scooter blenny is the same as the regular Scooter Blenny but has a reddish brown coloration instead of the normal duller brown patterns. These fish are more suited to a reef type tank, as they scoot around the liverock, and live sand looking for small Amphipods and Copepods. Males are easily identified by their large dorsal fin which they will display mainly when courting and in territorial disputes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Females have 2 seperate dorsal fins.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A 30 gallon or larger reef aquarium that has live sand substrate, docile inhabitants, and lots of live rock makes the ideal aquarium for the Scooter Blenny. More than one of its species may be kept; if so, it is best to introduce them all to the tank at the same time. The ratio should be 2 or 3 females per male. A 55 gallon or larger aquarium is required if more than one male is to be kept.

I've had my female for a while and she is constantly hopping around the tank eating the little bits of algae and cleaning my sand. I actually let one of my rocks have alittle green hair algae to keep her fed(Its not easy to keep it to just one rock but its possible with lots of attention)

I've found various types of information on them over the web, but the common consensus(and my experience) have told me that these are actually pretty easy to keep in a well established tank that has plenty of sand and rocks. Will eat just about any "extra" and are happy with alittle algae to graze on. They will also eat some of the extra food floating around the bottom for you. They are slow eaters and should not have to compete for food.

Hope this is enjoyed, these little "guys" have plenty of personality are are generally fun to watch hop around the tank :) :xmas:

(note:fish pictured are not mine)

2. Click Here!

3. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

Very cool fish. Would like to get one when I can get pods to grow. Thanks for sharing.

4. makeshiftcrew

makeshiftcrew Gigas Clam

No problem, theyre actually a pretty hardy fish. Let us know when you get one.

5. makeshiftcrew

makeshiftcrew Gigas Clam

6. joksanmo

joksanmo Flamingo Tongue

;D Awesome little tank mate to have. I've had one for 5 months now and he is doing good from I can gather. Doesn't grow much though. But these fishes stay busy! Thanks for the informative write up!

7. JMALACHI

JMALACHI Feather Duster

You should be fine not having pods. I have a scooter and it's been eating mysis since I got it. They don't seem to be as finicky as the mandarins from my experience.

8. Click Here!

9. JMALACHI

JMALACHI Feather Duster

This is awesome and answered my question on the difference in the male. I figured they were similar as the mandarin males since they are dragonets but I needed a good picture to verify. I love my female scooter and hopefully soon I'll add a male.

10. makeshiftcrew

makeshiftcrew Gigas Clam

Your welcome! I enjoy typing stuff up that i know alittle about(makes me feel good lol) and they do stay busy!

Live Aquaria has them pretty often, just keep checking the divers den section :) shoot us a picture when you find one. You know we ALL love pics!

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/index.cfm